• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crook or friend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

It could be legitimate. My advice and warnings stand.

Read the article I linked to. You do NOT have to pay to recover money that is owed you.
I agree that someone doesn't have to pay to recover money that is owed to them. However, it can be quite complicated to collect abandoned funds (or even find out if there are any out there), particularly from a distance, and therefore the firms that do it for you have a value.

There could be unclaimed property or money but you do not have to pay to claim it.

Try a government website to find unclaimed funds/property. https://www.usa.gov/unclaimed-money
Just wanted to say thanks to Quincy for posting that unclaimed funds link. By using the Search by State link for other states, last night I was able to notify 3 relatives they had money waiting. They got back to me today and they are getting back around $400 (total) in two different states. They also said the claim process was very easy...

Dandy Don

So if she doesn't give them permission to deduct their fee, she ends up with nothing and she will never find out where the money is actually located.
I'm so thankful that there are reputable unclaimed funds asset recovery companies out there who provide a valuable service to the clients they recover money for.

quincy

So if she doesn't give them permission to deduct their fee, she ends up with nothing and she will never find out where the money is actually located.
I'm so thankful that there are reputable unclaimed funds asset recovery companies out there who provide a valuable service to the clients they recover money for.
There are also unrepeatable people posing as recovery companies that will obtain personal information from the unwary and use it to steal identities.

The letter should be personally reviewed by a legal professional before signing away the right to collect funds.

Again, ANY unclaimed property can be obtained FOR FREE. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should pay to recover what is legally their property.

Dandy Don

So tell the OP where she should look to claim her funds, to prove your false contention that ANY unclaimed property can be obtained for free.
The reason that the company deducts their fee is to compensate for the services they provide, just like YOU are paid for legal services YOU provide.

quincy

The letter should be reviewed for authenticity. If authentic, a decision can then be made on whether paying someone to recover their legal property is what they want to do.

Again, however, NO ONE should provide any of their personal identifying information to any one based strictly on the receipt of a letter (or email or phone call) promising money.

Read the article for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">