• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crooked landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrscarroll3rd

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.my landloord says as of the 3rd of this month he no longer owns this house but still wants us to pay him rent for the month of august.are we entitled to hear what is going on from the new owner or person who is suppoesd to soon own the house?can't we use our last months rent if he told us we are more than likely going to be asked to move because the person working for the new owner wants the apartment?

FarmerJ

When I sold my apt building I collected the rent for the month that the sale took place and the buyer was reimbursed by me for the rents that the buyer was entitled to so even if the property has been sold or is to be sold , your still obligated to pay your rent . when you said 3rd of month are you refering to aug 3 ? if so likely you will recieve letter informing you of new owner info . BTW if sale is to happen on 8/3 then your new LL will have to comply with your state laws if you are asked to move . Also selling a rental property doesnt make the landlord a crook nor does his/her collection of rent that is due . all moneys due to the new LL will be transfered to them Including your deposit . Because your new LL will be responsible for your deposit return .

Last edited:
M

michael parks

You could be in luck here.......

Do you have a lease? then you can stay until the last day of it.

Next your landlord is entitled to Augusts rent, since he still owns the house on August 1st which is when the rent is due.

DO NOT pay in cash....pay be check you need a reciept to prove to the new landlord the rent is paid up.

The new landlord must give you a 30 day notice to move, and if you have no lease the days start counting from the 1st of september, so you can use your last months rent for septembers rent.

As long as you have the lease or a reciept stating you paid the security deposit and last months rent the new owner gets it at the closing.

IF you still have a lease and the new owner wants you to move he will have to PAY you to move. A lease works both ways.

The landlord is a crook ONLY if he demands you pay him in CASH!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">