• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crowdfunding and commissions for political causes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nat3

What is the name of your state? CA. Really asking for all of the US

I'm thinking of setting up a crowdfunding service which involves online influencers to promote causes, and I want to offer them a commission on funds raised. I want in particular (but not exclusively) to offer this service for political fundraisers. Is this legal? What limitations are there on such online fundraising? What do I need to ensure?

PayrollHRGuy

If you are going to get involved at this level in political fundraising you need to consult with and likely hire a lawyer that specializes in campaign financing laws.

quincy

An attorney consultation definitely would be smart before investing much time or effort into developing the crowdfunding service.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are going to get involved at this level in political fundraising you need to consult with and likely hire a lawyer that specializes in campaign financing laws.
THIS^^^^ Really. Political fundraising laws are extremely complex and not a DIY project.

quincy

Political fundraising efforts of the type proposed here tend to attract the (unwanted) attention of federal investigators. :)

Reactions: cbg

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? CA. Really asking for all of the US

I'm thinking of setting up a crowdfunding service which involves online influencers to promote causes, and I want to offer them a commission on funds raised. I want in particular (but not exclusively) to offer this service for political fundraisers. Is this legal? What limitations are there on such online fundraising? What do I need to ensure?
Federal and state laws on campaign donations, lobbying, etc., are complex and difficult to navigate successfully without the advice of a lawyer who concentrates in that area of law. It's not something that an online forum can walk you through.

quincy

A crowd fundraising campaign for construction of a border wall, while not entirely political in nature (I say with a wink), has resulted in some unpleasant consequences for the campaign initiator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">