• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT RAP and accident settlement issue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kegler123

What is the name of your state? CT
I am under CT RAP program and am expecting a settlement from an accident. How will the settlement affect my RAP eligibility?

adjusterjack

You're going to want to keep this document on your computer for as long as you depend on the RAP program

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOH/PublishedRAPPlan2015pdf.pdf?la=en
See Page 6-3:

Annual income does not include the following:
3. Lump sum additions to family assets such as inheritances, insurance payments (including payments under health and accident insurance and worker's compensation), capital gains and settlement for personal or property losses.
However, the money itself becomes an "asset" and the earnings from that asset become part of your income. See Page 6-2:

3. Interest, dividends, and other net income from real estate or personal property. Any withdrawal of cash or assets from an investment will be included in income, except to the extent the withdrawal reimburses the cash or assets which the family has invested. If the net family assets exceed $5,000, annual income (AI) shall include the greater of the actual income derived from all net family assets or a percentage of the value of such assets based on the current passbook savings rate.
I suggest you thoroughly and carefully study that document and familiarize yourself with all the reporting requirements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">