• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT Small Claims Suit Process Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koo145

What is the name of your state? CT

Hi All. I'm filing a small claims suit (Form JD-CV-40) in the state of CT against a former landlord for failing to return my security deposit, and I'm either confused on a number of items or I'm simply overthinking this. However, I want to make sure I do this right so any input would be appreciated.

1. The online version of the form (https://www.jud.ct.gov/WebForms/forms/CV040.pdf) contains 4 identical copies of the writ. The only difference is the note at the very bottom of each page stating "Page 2 of 5," "Page 3 of 5," etc. I did some research and found through an older set of instructions that the 1st form is the court's copy, the 2nd and 3rd form is the defendant's copy, and the 4th form is my copy. Is this still the case or do I just need to fill out 1 of these forms?
2. The instructions state that I need to server a copy of the writ and file the original with the court. If, according to #1 above, I need to fill out all 4 identical forms, does that mean that the copy is the 2nd and 3rd form and not necessarily a photo copy of one of the forms?
3. If, according to #1 above, I need to fill out all 4 identical forms, does that mean I need to get all 4 notarized?
4. There are 2 defendants in the suit. If, according to #1 above, I need to fill out all 4 identical forms, what does this mean regarding the number of copies? Do I actually have to fill out 6 forms (Page 1 1x, Page 2 2x, Page 3 2x, and Page 4 1x) so that 2 forms can be served to each defendant?
5. A big problem is that I've moved from CT to CA. Will I have any problems getting these forms notarized by a Public Notary that's commissioned by the state of CA? I would hate to travel to CT just to get a couple of forms notarized.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
5. A big problem is that I've moved from CT to CA. Will I have any problems getting these forms notarized by a Public Notary that's commissioned by the state of CA? I would hate to travel to CT just to get a couple of forms notarized.
I'm going to address this because I feel it is a very important part. You can have a California notary notarize your forms, but you have to realize that you are going to have to travel to CT at some point. Your travel costs are not recoverable. Additionally, and I could tell you that I would do this if I felt I was wrongfully being sued by someone who has to travel from out of state, there may be continuances requested by (and granted to) the other party that would require multiple appearances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">