• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CTS - injury or illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigswede

What is the name of your state? I live in New York state. I am presently collecting monthly disability for severe Carpal Tunnel of both wrists. This was diagnosed by EMG tests and was caused by the occupational demand on my wrists and hands over a 40 year career. The disability policy states that I would collect for two years for an illness and lifetime for an injury. My question is - for insurance purposes, is CTS considered an illness or an injury.

TIA for any advice or input.

lkc15507

In any experience I have had dealing with CTS, it is considered a repetative motion INJURY that causes compression of the median nerve in the wrist. In the health insurance industry this is a diagnosis that immediately triggers an investigation into whether or not it is work comp. related. It is most commonly linked with repetative, prolonged motion such as with assembly line work.

However, it does not always result from occupational hazards or even external hazards. For example, severe fluid retention in pregnancy can cause compression of the median nerve, resulting in symptoms. Other factors such as obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes can predispose one to developing carpal tunnel syndrome. In any event, it is compression of the median nerve that results in symptoms and this is considered injury rather than illness as defined by most insurance standards.

Best of luck to you,
lkc15507

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">