• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curious about the process of Security deposits and my bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?NH
Like i have said before, i generally have 2000-2500 in my checking and savings(total) at any given time. How much of this will the trustee take? All of it? And my security deposit on my apt- 1100.00- This is going on schedule G- will he/she demand this as well? I will have only been in this place 3 months when i file. Will that even make a difference? Let's say your lease was UP in a month- would that make them more liable to demand that money?

Ladynred

i generally have 2000-2500 in my checking and savings(total) at any given time. How much of this will the trustee take? All of it?
None - if NH exemptions allow you to exempt cash enough to cover it. Trustees know you have to pay your bills and they know your paycheck is 'earmarked' for living expenses. Still, its best to file on the day when you have the LEAST amount of cash in those accounts.

I have not heard yet of a Trustee taking a security deposit, though I'm sure it does happen or could. What would be the point ?? You would likely have to come up with that money to give back to your landlord as the security deposit is usually part of the lease. It would really cause more harm to the debtor AND the landlord in the long run. Even if your lease was nearly up, its not a forgone conclusion in ANY rental that you'll get all of that back, if any, when/if you move out. Trustee could have his hand out for what you DO get back though.

Thats the thing- NH has NO cash exemption!

I went to one site that said NH allowed the federal exemptions, but another site says that NH allows the state exemptions only. The federal exemption is much nicer with bank accounts. NH offers NO exemption of bank accounts, at least in the statutes. I suppose they still may let me keep my bank accounts anyway. Perhaps I should close the savings asap?
By the way, NH has the GOOFIEST exemptions ive ever seen. Ridiculous. Fowl, Sheep, but not even $100.00 in cash.lol
And as far as the security deposit- I was under the impression that I would have to give he/she the 1100.00- I dont think they can make the landlord give it to them- They assume ill get this 1100 back, so its an asset...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">