• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Current LLC conflicts w future real estate investment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You can often save money and time by adding DBAs to an existing LLC.
It's pretty easy and cheap in many states to organize a LLC. In my state you file the LLC organizing documents online and pay a fee of just $50. You use the same process (with slightly different information, of course) for a trade name (DBA) and the cost is $20. It may be worth the extra $30 and some extra administrative overhead to form a separate LLC for the real estate investment, depending on the details of it. That's why seeing a business attorney and tax attorney or other tax professional, as we've both recommended, is a good idea for Pipan. The details of his/her situation matter as to what will work out best.

quincy

I agree that details matter.

Because there have been a few LLCs considered, and created, and dissolved, by Pipan in the past, it can be smart for Pipan to sit down with a professional in his area now to discuss exactly what he hopes to accomplish with his businesses (e.g., his personal and his financial goals).

Striking out on a path with no clear idea of where you are headed, or why, can be a waste of time, energy and money.

Pipan

I'm not sure what you mean by "specifically registered for real estate purpose." Unless the operating agreement for your current LLC expressly limits the company's business operations to marketing activities (and if you don't want to amend the operating agreement to allow for other activities), there's no legal prohibition against the LLC buying real estate.

I strongly urge you to consult with a local attorney about this.
As to "specifically registered for real estate purpose." it was my ambiguity if I have to have one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">