• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Current on COBRA payments, but

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am current on my COBRA payments. It includes both medical and dental premiums for myself and the children. I had an unpleasant surprise today. The dental office called to say that I didn't have dental coverage.

I confirmed with the company that processes the payments that YES, I am covered. I called the dental insurance company and somebody at the old company decided to cancel my insurance as of 10/1/2010 even though I had paid for the insurance.

Yes, I called the benefits administrator and talked with her admin assist and explained the situation. I have letter to go out to both her and her boss over the problem.

Is there any recourse against them if they can't get the insurance resurrected? I have a bad feeling about this cuz I had been a benefits administrator for the old company with them.

swalsh411

You're jumping the gun. These sort of administrative goofs are not uncommon. Did your former employer say they were going to fix it?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm waiting, but I have a dentist appointment coming up. If I don't get in there, it'll be another 3 months before I can get another appointment.

TinkerBelleLuvr

well, they have sorta reinstated stuff. They found me and ONE of the children. They have misplaced 3 kids.

Problem I now have with this mistake is because of how they bill things, I can PROVE that I am out $50.00 with the orthodontist. Guess I'll be taking 'em to small claims court over that one. That is after I've asked nicely. I KNOW my old boss. He has found himself in court over his obstancy (or however that is spelled) and lost.

TS3945

Wouldn't this fall under ERISA LAW, given it is an employer sponsored benefit plan? Its my understanding that involves Federal court and the plan participant is only ever allowed to recover the benefit amount lost and claimed. Which is not a bad thing, except of course your without dental treatment, even though you paid the premiums as well you are out the COST of treatment or sent to collections if you don't pay the dental office whats owing.

I see you have paid the dental office, but you've also paid premiums for dental coverage. The bad part is that there is no recourse under Federal Law which Governs employer sponsored benefit plans.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">