• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial grandparent passed away. What happens now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aguerra01

I just got child support papers in the mail... We are in the process of setting up visitation why would I have to pay child support. Considering I haven't had custody or paid child support for her in 14 years can they get back child support? Her grandmother/ legal guardian passed away. I have had one court date and they told me I wouldn't have to pay. We haven't set up any visitations yet, but she got a new social worker, in the middle of all this. He was waiting on court paperwork just like I am. I still haven't received any court papers. She's in foster care currently, but the plan is for me to get custody after so much time. She is also disabled will that make it harder on me. Can I fight this?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I just got child support papers in the mail... We are in the process of setting up visitation why would I have to pay child support. Considering I haven't had custody or paid child support for her in 14 years can they get back child support? Her grandmother/ legal guardian passed away. I have had one court date and they told me I wouldn't have to pay. We haven't set up any visitations yet, but she got a new social worker, in the middle of all this. He was waiting on court paperwork just like I am. I still haven't received any court papers. She's in foster care currently, but the plan is for me to get custody after so much time. She is also disabled will that make it harder on me. Can I fight this?
You did not have to pay child support before because Grandma chose not to pursue it.

Grandma is dead and the taxpayers are paying for foster care, so the state wants to be reimbursed for some of the costs. Both you and the mother should be paying child support.

However, it is something that would have to go to court first, and should only be backdated to filing entrance in foster care.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why would you NOT have to pay child support?

Aguerra01

Im confused because if we are in the process of visitation with custody as the end result I don't understand why I'd pay. I'll pay I just don't understand...

ShyCat

Im confused because if we are in the process of visitation with custody as the end result I don't understand why I'd pay. I'll pay I just don't understand...
Because you're just "in the process" of regaining custody. It certainly won't be accomplished overnight. Until you do actually obtain custody, you may be required to pay child support in the meantime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">