• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial parent definition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jodicoomer

Indiana
I have filed for divorce and the agreement states that we will have joint legal and physical custody. I am named as custodial parenting for Indiana parenting guidelines. My soon to be ex thinks that me bing named custodial mean I still have final say and can move and only give him 90 days notice. Can I please have someone explain that joint legal custody means 50:50 decision making. Being named custodial is only for dictating who gets child even and odd number of years for holidays?

LdiJ

Indiana
I have filed for divorce and the agreement states that we will have joint legal and physical custody. I am named as custodial parenting for Indiana parenting guidelines. My soon to be ex thinks that me bing named custodial mean I still have final say and can move and only give him 90 days notice. Can I please have someone explain that joint legal custody means 50:50 decision making. Being named custodial is only for dictating who gets child even and odd number of years for holidays?
One thing that you should explain to your ex that you being named "custodial parent" doesn't mean that you can move and only give him 90 days notice. The whole purpose of the 90 days notice in Indiana is so that the other parent can legally contest the move. In other words, you giving him 90 days notice does NOT mean that you can just move. It only means that you can just move if he does nothing to legally contest your move after getting the 90 days notice.

Joint legal custody means that each of you gets to make ordinary parenting decisions during your own parenting time, but anything that impacts the child in a major way (medical, education, religion etc.), or impacts both parent's time needs to be agreed upon jointly.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also, the designation of "custodial parent" is often used for determining the address for school attendance.

LdiJ

Also, the designation of "custodial parent" is often used for determining the address for school attendance.
Not in Indiana. In Indiana the child can attend school in either parent's district therefore the parents have to agree where the child will attend school...at least initially. Once school attendance starts then the district cannot be changed unless both parents agree or neither parent resides in the district any longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">