• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Case -- Finding a Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? PA

In a nutshell, here is our situation: My husband shares custody of 2 boys with his ex, but there is no legal agreement about this custody. His ex is a paralegal and filed all the divorce papers and they did not file anything on the custody of the children -- it has all been verbal agreements for the past 3 years. The arrangements have been 50/50, no support payments involved either. We want to relocate to another state both of us will have better jobs, more money, stable environment, etc. We're not doing it for spite -- we are truly seeking to better their lives. We tried to talk to her about working out a parenting plan whereby she would have them for school breaks, vacations, holidays, etc., but she refused to discuss it and filed an injunction against us from taking them out of state, which we expected.

Here is our problem. The first lawyer we hired practically dropped off the face of the earth -- he wouldn't return phone calls, respond to letters, nothing. We then set out to find another lawyer and after several consultations, are extremely frustrated. All the lawyers we have talked to so far meet us with the worst attitudes. They act like we are lower than dirt for wanting to take the kids away from their mother and tell us it's unheard of not to have some sort of legal agreement, and oh, by the way, not many judges will award custody to fathers anyway. I refuse to get into name calling and mom bashing, even though I could give a list a mile long. That's not the point. The point is we want to relocate the kids to a better, more stable environment, period. So how do I find a lawyer who understands this and will work for us without wasting time and money on consultations. The last guy we walked out on because he was a complete a**.


Senior Member
cindy539 said:

The last guy we walked out on because he was a complete a**.


My response:

Well, at least I know it wasn't me or my office - - I'm in Los Angeles. However, you undoubtedly would have walked out on me too - - or, at worst, I would have had to throw you out.

Your husband is NOT going to get residential custody because he wants to move away. At best, he'll get scheduled visitations, and it will be his responsibility to pay for his own visitation transportation.

You're both asking for something that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:


When looking for a lawyer, ask them up front, if they are willing to take on this case, and that they agree with what you are doing. Call the bar association and see if they can refer you to a good lawyer. Good luck. P.S. Why do you want full custody? Is it in the best interest of the children?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential