• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Colorado Law- What is the difference between a "Court Order" and a "Parenting Agreement" signed by both parties, thier lawyers and filed with the court? Does a "Court Order" come with automatic penalties for violations? How do I go about enforcing my Parental Agreement without paying more legal fees?


Whats the diff..........

A court order is signed by the judge, therefore what it states is what you go by. The parenting agreement, if that was incorperated into the court order, it is something you are bound by, until modified.

Not automatic, you need file contempt charges, if the parenting agreement, that is signed by the judge is not being follow as states, only contempt charges can be filed.

You can try to work with your ex in making the agreement stand and both abiding by it, if not, you will have to enforce it by contempt charges or file for a modification. you can by yourself petition the court to modify your parenting agreement or custody itself, with enough documentation to prove there is a change in circumstances that warrents a modification.

JMO, and basically how I understand this whole legal system, but there are bonafide lawyers on this site that can give you legal answers to your question, and tell me if I am unclear in my understanding.

Best of Luck.



A Parenting Agreement is a legal binding contract that has been prepared to inform you of certain rights you may have, and certain procedures that may be involved in a child custody and parenting situation.

Enforcement of such a plan is brought under the following:

14-10.5-104. Parenting time enforcement program - authorization.
As well as other statues.

Provisions for amending such a plan are found here:

14-10-129. Modification of parenting time.

The basis for making such agreements/judgements through the statutes can be found here:

14-10-124. Best interests of child.

And the entire text of the family law for colorado can be found here:

While a parenting plan is not required as it is in Missouri during divorce, if both sides negotiate such a plan and submit it to the court, the judge will sign it, thereby including it into the official court file and it has the full force and effect as if the judge in your case had reached the 'plan' by him or herself.


denied visitation

Would this mean, then, that I have the ability to enforce the contract with police help if I am denied visitation? Over the year my ex has broken EVERY part of our contract without hesitation. Short of getting a lawyer, which I am not financially prepared to do, what options do I have to see my son again, if not get custody back?


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential