• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Hearing: What Can We Expect (updated "Complicated Situation")

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confutatis

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Good day to all...

This is an update of the "Complicated Situation" post, with hopes some of you may be able to give my wife and I some comments and advice.

First of all, the trouble with Andy (the 15-year-old boy) and the police has been resolved. Even though we had been in contact with both parents, who knew where he was at, the police still processed him as a runaway, though they did not charge him with anything. A lot of threats of "charges" for harboring a runaway was passed my way, but Andy's mother let them know that she knew where he was at and that she had been working it out with us and Andy's father. The police, however, wanted to make a point. Nevertheless, Andy is now free and we have been given the okay to keep Andy with us while the custody situation is taken care of.

In regards to that, Andy's mother informed us that she cannot give us temporary gaurdianship--that only a biological parent can receive this kind of custody, and therefore, we will have to assume full custody of Andy while she is gone. She is filing the "motion" and has told us we would have to appear in court for the custody hearing very soon.

What can we expect in this hearing? What questions will be asked of us? What concerns might the judge have? Any comments and advice would be appreciated, and my apologies for the length of this post.

Regards,

David (Ohio Resident)

kat1963

David, this sounds extremely complicated. I highly suggest that you, at the very least, take advantage of a free or low cost consult with a family lawyer in your area. Make a list of questions before you go. I think you need to be informed by a professional as to what your rights and responsibilities will be towards Andy BEFORE you go into court. I am not a lawyer, but I have my doubts as to the mother being able to simply transfer custody to you without the father being informed.(unless his biological rights have been terminated).
KAT

C

confutatis

Hello and thanks for your response...

Andy's mother has full custody of him. Nevertheless, the father has been made aware of her decision and he has agreed to the custody arrangement.

Regards,

David

C

confutatis

Bumping this post up...

Still hoping someone can giveus an idea as to what we can expect at the custody hearing for Andy...

Thanks for all of your comments.

Regards,

David

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">