• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody; not married!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omegaslover

What is the name of your state? Florida

Ok, I will word this the best I can. I have a 1 year old son with a man I am NOT married to. I live with him right now, but plan to leave him. My questions are:
1. Can he take me to court for custody?
2. Since we are not married, can I move to another county/state with my son, without notifying the father?

IAAL-11

omegaslover said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Ok, I will word this the best I can. I have a 1 year old son with a man I am NOT married to. I live with him right now, but plan to leave him. My questions are:

1. Can he take me to court for custody?

MY RESPONSE: Yes, of course. In this country, we have "equal protection under the law." So, males can sue females, and vice-versa.

2. Since we are not married, can I move to another county/state with my son, without notifying the father?

MY RESPONSE: Yes, you can. However, if he files for custody before you obtain legal residency in your new location, you and the kid will wind up back home where you are, and back to square one.

IAAL

omegaslover

Thank you so much for the quick response. I figured that he would be able to take me to court for custody, but I didn't want to chance moving and end up getting in trouble, Thank you so much :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">