• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of 17 year olds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

earthmama02

Hi everyone, I'm in Minnesota. I have been divorced since 2006. I do not receive any child support (I was dumb and didn't ask for any) and we've been somewhat amicable through the years. My daughters' relationship with their father has been deteriorating for the past 3 or 4 years, as they have been growing up and gaining more independence, and his ability to control them has lessened. He has been verbally abusive and very controlling - Monday night he was physical with them, grabbing them hard and pushing, shoving into a wall. They called me hysterical and left and drove to my house immediately. He has since canceled cell phones and I'm worried he will start canceling everything else too. He believes the rules do not apply to him. My daughter's therapist has reported the incident to CPS and he will be irate when he finds this out. I do not have the money for a lawyer, and it stinks that I have to do this so close their 18th birthday in October, but I do believe I'll have to take him to court for child support and full custody. Is there any judge who would NOT grant that, given their age and the recent physical abuse?

t74

Be more specific about the current orders. Is he ordered to provide them with cell phones? What else? What rules?

LdiJ

Hi everyone, I'm in Minnesota. I have been divorced since 2006. I do not receive any child support (I was dumb and didn't ask for any) and we've been somewhat amicable through the years. My daughters' relationship with their father has been deteriorating for the past 3 or 4 years, as they have been growing up and gaining more independence, and his ability to control them has lessened. He has been verbally abusive and very controlling - Monday night he was physical with them, grabbing them hard and pushing, shoving into a wall. They called me hysterical and left and drove to my house immediately. He has since canceled cell phones and I'm worried he will start canceling everything else too. He believes the rules do not apply to him. My daughter's therapist has reported the incident to CPS and he will be irate when he finds this out. I do not have the money for a lawyer, and it stinks that I have to do this so close their 18th birthday in October, but I do believe I'll have to take him to court for child support and full custody. Is there any judge who would NOT grant that, given their age and the recent physical abuse?
What is in place now? Is the current schedule a court ordered one? Certainly the children's ages and the fact that they will be 18 in October will have an impact. The fact that their counselor made a report to CPS will have an effect as well. You might consider filing an emergency motion to suspend visitation until CPS has a chance to investigate.

However, its also possible that a judge might decide to force the girls to visit their father in hopes that in the few months left until they turn 18 that they can resolve the issues between them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">