• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Of Children Given To Deadbeat Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KATMECAN

What is the name of your state? i am in texas, my question pertains to california and virginia.
my cousin was raising her two children by herself for their entire life-father did not even want to see them, call or write. on oct. 30, she went into the hospital due to suicide attempt. nov 3 grandmother had children in her care and dropped children into the fathers life. on nov 3 he got custody that was supposed to be temporary. it was determined that the doctor she was seeing had overdosed her and she did not know what she was doing at the time she tried to kill herself, so the charges the state filed against her for doing it were dropped- meaning she was supposed to get the children back. while the charges were being dropped in virginia, the father was getting custody in california, it should not have happened but it did--now what is the question
:confused:
she has a large hame and both children have their own rooms, they went to school and were in a decently stable home. The father on the other hand left them and his wife for a teenager who provided him with a baby, then he left her for the woman who is now raising my cousins two children, the baby by the teenager, plus she just gave birth. i will stop now so i can see if anyone can think of someway to help.

VeronicaGia

"What is the name of your state? i am in texas, my question pertains to california and virginia.
my cousin was raising her two children by herself for their entire life-father did not even want to see them, call or write. on oct. 30, she went into the hospital due to suicide attempt. nov 3 grandmother had children in her care and dropped children into the fathers life. on nov 3 he got custody that was supposed to be temporary. it was determined that the doctor she was seeing had overdosed her and she did not know what she was doing at the time she tried to kill herself, so the charges the state filed against her for doing it were dropped- meaning she was supposed to get the children back. while the charges were being dropped in virginia, the father was getting custody in california, it should not have happened but it did--now what is the question

she has a large hame and both children have their own rooms, they went to school and were in a decently stable home. The father on the other hand left them and his wife for a teenager who provided him with a baby, then he left her for the woman who is now raising my cousins two children, the baby by the teenager, plus she just gave birth. i will stop now so i can see if anyone can think of someway to help."

First off, I hate the term deadbeat dad. Especially since this so called deadbeat has picked up the pieces of his children's lives while their mother was busy trying to kill herself. While he may not have been there before, he was there when he was needed the most. How did a doctor overdose her? Or did the doctor simply supply the medication of which she took to much, thereby making it solely her responsibility for not following the dosage properly? If a doctor administered medicine him/herself, how could charges be filed? She could sue the doctor. Me thinks she overdosed herself, JMHO.

And as far as his kids from whoever, it apparently isn't a factor when women have kids from many men, so why should it be a factor when men do it? Thankfully she didn't commit suicide while her children were present. Think of what that would have done to them. Believe me, I know someone whose father killed himself in front of her with a gun to the head. 20 years later, she's still not over it.

Maybe the kids are better off at least for now.

K

KATMECAN

CLARIFICATION

there is so much information that i could not put it all in, to clarify the story a little. she took the medication as prescribed, which the doctor is being reprimanded for. he prescribed her some very potent --to much for her to handle- drugs. on the other side of the coin the "deadbeat" has told the children he does not want them---he is not taking care of them, he has dumped them on this new young wife. the children are now in a home where they are not being loved and told how precious they are----how is that right. if my cousin had meant to do what she did i might agree with the reply i recieved--but she did not!!!
now all that aside is there anyone out there with knowlege about how the law works in these cases that can give me a clue as to whether i need to help her fight using california laws or virginia laws? i am really not looking for opinions as to what other people who do not know the whole story think, but thanks for your reply.

A

annefan1000

Your cousin should consult with a Family Law attorney in her area to get direction, and then she should consult an injury attorney regarding her medical issue.

Whyte Noise

KATMECAN

If the father was granted temporary custody by a California court, and no other court had issued any prior custody orders, California would have jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">