• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of younger siblings.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summer.d

i live in Nj with my fiancé. I am 23 and he is 26. We rent our 2 bedroom home and both have full time jobs. I have two younger brothers ages 14 and 9. My brothers came to visit after Christmas. They showed up in dirty clothes that didn't fit. They started telling me stories about our father being verbally abusive and threatening toward them. Realizing that they don't like our father when he is drunk I started asking relatives about the condition of the home. One of my cousins recently lived there and told me how they are neglected and starved. CPS is apparently involved and it's not looking good. Would I be a consideration for their legal guardian? I grew up in foster homes and do not want that life for them.

ecmst12

You can contact CPS and see what would need to be done for you to be considered for kinship care if the children end up needing to be removed from the home. It will help if you are in the same state.

Summer.d

You can contact CPS and see what would need to be done for you to be considered for kinship care if the children end up needing to be removed from the home. It will help if you are in the same state.
I'm sorry I forgot to mention they are from Pennsylvania. I know its going to be difficult but I can't let them grow up with strangers nor could I sleep knowing they are in danger. I was also told their parents are using my brothers ssi checks. I don't know if that is why they started investigating or if the school got involved because of their appearance, they actually smell. It's so upsetting. My family have suggested I file for custody but all the posts I've read say it's basically impossible.

justalayman

It's not impossible and generally CPS would prefer children be placed with relatives BUT...

before there is any chance of you having them placed with you, there has to be a reason the state would remove them from their parent's home. So far you haven't given a whole lot of anything that would cause them to be removed. There are issues but often times the states involved caution or warn parents to take corrective action on the issues you speak of rather than just removing the children. It is often a long process to remove children from a home unless there is a true need for immediate removal. That is often reserved for situations where the children are in imminent danger. It doesn't sound like the case in your situation.

ecmst12

Chances are even if they are removed, it would be temporary. But do contact CPS. They probably won't be able to tell you anything specifically about their case, but may be able to point you in the right direction for getting you established as available for placement if needed. You do not have standing to file for custody.

Summer.d

Thank you both. I believe there is more going on that my brothers aren't telling. This isn't the first time that CPS has been there. i am going to call CPS tomorrow or monday if they are not open tomorrow. My father gave me up when I was really young so maybe he will sign over custody since he doesn't seem to be interested in taking care of them but he may not want to give up my brothers ssi. I really don't know how this is going to turn out :(

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Since OP lives in New Jersey and her sibs live in Pennsylvania, that cuts chances of a kinship placement even more. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
An interstate compact investigation would NEED to be completed in order for OP to have any chances of being kinship care. That could take three to six months after a court case is open. If a court case was opened, the likelihood of her brothers being able to come visit for Christmas is slim and none. So that tells me there is probably a voluntary plan with CPS at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">