• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody & Residential Occupancy Level

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have physical custody of three children. NCP has not paid support in a year (currently on a suspended sentence for the arrearages). My current living arrangements will end in approx. 3 months and I'm now looking for a new home to rent but the prices have risen really high (average $2,000 for a 3 bedroom). :eek:

So I was considering renting a 2-bedroom condo or townhome and pairing up the 2 children of the same sex in the master bedroom and the other one who is of the opposite sex recieve the second bedroom. I would purchase a sleeper sofa or futon and just tough it out for the next year.

Do you think a court would frown upon these living arrangements?

NCP is about to serve a one year jail sentence for non-support. Hopefully, a work release program will be part of the sentence but in the meantime, even though I work full-time caring for 3 children on one income and rent increasing is forcing me to have to consider a smaller place.

I just don't want to give NCP a reason to take me back to court once the jail sentence is over for a custody modification because of the living arrangements. My plan is to save up over the next 1-2 years to purchase a permenant home which is why $2,000/mo would make that impossible.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

CJane

What you're describing is perfectly acceptable.

I have custody of 3 kids - a 10 year old girl, a 6 year old girl and an 11 month old boy. I live in a 2 bedroom TINY house and all 3 kids share a room. The girls' father was unsuccessful in getting full custody even though he has a 5 bedroom house.

With the added strikes against him of not bothering to support the kids, there's no way your ex would get custody based on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">