• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Visitation - Ex moved away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you consider enrolled in school? What grade?

I was merely trying to agree with Stealth that a kid can attend school before the compulsory age, not that every four-year-old can attend school.

Have you seen parents get into trouble because their four-year-old was withdrawn from school?

What happens if they cannot handle full-time school at that age? Does a four-year-old have to struggle, despite not being mandated to attend at four years old?

What happens when one divorced parent enrolls a four-year-old into school, but the other parent clearly states their disagreement, and therefore the child only attends 50% of the time?

What other points am I incorrect on so that I can educate myself?
I had a feeling you might focus on the wrong part of Ohiogal's post. You said that a 4 year old could attend first grade "for sure". She was pointing out that it's not a "for sure" thing that a 4 year old could attend first grade. The problem is that your style of written communication tends to be vague and/or convey a different message than you intend to convey. You're not alone - it happens to a lot of people. I suggest that, prior to posting, you re-read every post you make with a fresh eye in order to see in what ways it may be misinterpreted. When corrections are made to your posts, try not to be too defensive about it. It happens to all of us at some point (some more than others). Take it as a learning moment and graciously move on.

_HappyDad_

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-3321.01

A child between six and eighteen years of age is "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code. A child under six years of age who has been enrolled in kindergarten also shall be considered "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code unless at any time the child's parent or guardian, at the parent's or guardian's discretion and in consultation with the child's teacher and principal, formally withdraws the child from kindergarten. The compulsory school age of a child shall not commence until the beginning of the term of such schools, or other time in the school year fixed by the rules of the board of the district in which the child resides.

_HappyDad_

I don't feel defensive at all. I know it's a tough crowd here, so I like to post here occasionally, and it sharpens up my "arguments." This crowd is much more fierce than the OC I face. So, if I can "win" a point, I feel good. Or, I come away having learned something new.

If I do come off as defensive, I apologize. When we read things on a screen, a voice accompanies the words, which is influenced by our interpretation of the writing, IMHO.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-3321.01

A child between six and eighteen years of age is "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code. A child under six years of age who has been enrolled in kindergarten also shall be considered "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code unless at any time the child's parent or guardian, at the parent's or guardian's discretion and in consultation with the child's teacher and principal, formally withdraws the child from kindergarten. The compulsory school age of a child shall not commence until the beginning of the term of such schools, or other time in the school year fixed by the rules of the board of the district in which the child resides.
And in Ohio, schools will not let a 4 yar old enroll in kindergarten, let alone first grade. So, therefore, your argument on that point fails immediately. And even if not compulsory, your post proves my point. A child who is enrolled can be found truant if not attending. In other words, you were wrong.

_HappyDad_

The bolded part clearly states that a parent can withdraw a child under the compulsory school attendance age for kindergarten. If withdrawn, how would they be found truant, especially if under the compulsory age of attendance?

OG, I chose Ohio statutes because that is where you are licensed to practice law, and so it's your area of expertise. Perhaps other states have different guidelines. I try to avoid absolutes like "always" and "never".

I very well might be wrong. I'm wondering what part I misunderstand?

Last edited:

single317dad

It's @single317dad !! How the heck have you been?? Good to see you posting!
Life comes at you fast!

Family-wise, things settled down a lot and son and I are managing quite well. Mom still hasn't gotten her priorities in order and is heard from less and less often, as is so often the case.

Work has kept me busy enough, and we try out a new hobby here and there to fill the free time.

Glad I remembered to stop by and poke my head in; was fun reading a few threads and seeing some familiar faces again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">