• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer bought a laptop from me and filed a paypal claim to refund it, but he is returning it damaged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Abhii

I sold a laptop through a subreddit called hardwareswap. The user received the laptop damaged and is saying he will send the laptop back and he will refund it although I dont want the laptop back as it is damaged..

We talked directly in PMs and he said he will work with what is wrong with the laptop and even had me issue him a partial refund which I agreed to so he can at least get it fixed, but now is making me refund it fully and returned to me.

What can I do?

xylene

Which of these best describes the situation:
The laptop was Damaged in transit because you didn't package it adequately
The laptop was Damaged in transit by the shipper.
You you sold a laptop with issues disclosed and then he was in over his head.
You sold a laptop with issues and didn't disclose them.
You sold a laptop with a promise of functionality/warranty not yourself realizing it was damaged.

Abhii

Which of these best describes the situation:
The laptop was Damaged in transit because you didn't package it adequately
The laptop was Damaged in transit by the shipper.
You you sold a laptop with issues disclosed and then he was in over his head.
You sold a laptop with issues and didn't disclose them.
You sold a laptop with a promise of functionality/warranty not yourself realizing it was damaged.
The laptop was damaged by shipper
I sold the laptop with images showing it was in good condition with minor chassis scratches. Then he received it in worse condition

adjusterjack

He's entitled to a full refund since it was damaged in transit. If he doesn't want to deal with the shipper then you will have to as Pay Pal usually sides with the buyer, refunds the money and charges your account. You don't have any remedy with Pay Pal because you agreed to Pay Pal's terms of service when you agreed to use Pay Pal (a risk that every seller should be aware of).

I think you need to resign yourself to the fact that you will get the item back and your buyer will get his money back.

Then you deal with the shipper. And if you don't get anywhere with the shipper you'll have to eat this transaction as one of the costs of doing business online.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Often times, title to an item transfers upon delivery to the carrier. In other words, once he got it safely to the carrier, it's then on the buyer to deal with the carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">