• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Privacy in a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imfrikkinawesom

California.

I work in sales at a local retail giant. We currently have a program to enlist customers to fill out a survey with their purchase, and offer them a chance to win a 4000 dollar credit to our store. To perform this survey they must enter a sales check number printed on the receipt. One of my co-workers is writing down the sales check number of the customers purchases, and filling them out on his own. I personnally beleive this to be fraud and theft of private information, as the receipt upon printing belongs to the customer. My beleifs may be wrong, but I feel this is wrong. My question is do customers have legal recourse for my co-worker filling out these surveys with their information. thank you in advance.

FlyingRon

Theft of customer information? Not much teeth to that.
It's certainly FRAUD if he's doing it for his personal gain EITHER to claim the rewards or to make himself look good for the number/quality of surveys.
If I was the employer IMMEDIATELY TERMINATION would result.
If you know about it, I would also consider it your duty to report it if you were my employee.

Legally, there's not enough information to tell if there is criminal or civil liability, but more than enough ammunition for an employer to fire the both of you for cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">