• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cut In Benefits - Is This Right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
new mexico
My daughter is disabled and therefore recieves a check from SSI every month
I cannot work as i have to stay home to look after my daughter
My husband, who was also on (SSDI)disability, managed to find himself a job last year
He claimed her as dependent on 2004 tax return..while he lived with us (she is not his dependent in 2005)
He has since left me and my daughter, but has to pay $350 a month in child support
Now the Social Security have said they are deducting $270 a month
In fact, they DID deduct it from augusts check
Is this right, what they have done?
They dont seem to want to put anything in writing, telling me the reason, or anything
I live in New Mexico


Senior Member
Call them and ask them to explain .

My Brother is raising his 2 girls , one of which receives SSI .

Yes , depending on the income coming into the household , the SSI amount can be adjusted , at any given time .

They reduced the Daughters SSI, then when household income changed the amount went back up .

If you do not receive the Child support amount , let them know . Also let them know he does not live there .
Last edited:


Junior Member
This, seems to me to be a little steep, as the household income went down drasically when my husband left, then, 3 months later my daughters check got cut My ex husband has been made a statement that he ONLY supports her to the tune of $350 a month and is no longer living at home. Because i have to care for my daughter, and can not work, i am left to more or less depend on friends and family to support me financialy at this time and STILL they seem unable to comprehend the fact.


Senior Member
My ex husband has been made a statement that he ONLY supports her to the tune of $350 a month and is no longer living at home.
Therein may lie your problem . Say the child's benefits are 600.00 Per month .

You turn in a statement that someone is contributing 350 to support Her .

Of course they are going to reduce the amounts She receives .

You need to show SSA proof that the Payments are for child Support Ordered by a Court , then they may look at the entire picture .

Doesn't New Mexico have " Welfare or Temp. Assistance or health and human Services , or what ever Your State Calls it , and why haven't you mentioned Food Stamps ?

Why let Family and Friends by Food when you can Apply from Fed. & State Benefits yourself ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential