• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

D I need permission to use a few lines of a song?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckyrusher

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a tv show idea and it is based loosely on a song. I want to use the song name and maybe 3 lines paraphrased in the opening lines of the tv show. Do I need permission to do that? I am using the idea from the song that you cant leave a place but nothing else.
The song name has been used in 2 other movies that have nothing to do with the song.

If I do need permission do I contact the band or the recording company if they are still in business, the song is from the 70s

Thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a tv show idea and it is based loosely on a song. I want to use the song name and maybe 3 lines paraphrased in the opening lines of the tv show. Do I need permission to do that? I am using the idea from the song that you cant leave a place but nothing else.
The song name has been used in 2 other movies that have nothing to do with the song.

If I do need permission do I contact the band or the recording company if they are still in business, the song is from the 70s

Thanks
It depends on all facts but it is always smart to assume you need permission from the holder(s) of the copyrights before using copyright-protected material.

The copyright holder could be the artists and/or could be the publisher/recording company. You will have to do some research to determine ownership.

The movies where you heard the song probably licensed the right to use the song.

Ideas, as a note, are not copyrightable, nor are song titles (although titles potentially can be protected as trademarks). Whether your "paraphrase" of the lyrics is enough to prevent infringement is something you should review with an IP professional in your area.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">