• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad Being Sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Baldie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

To make a long story short my dad got into some financial hardship last year. During that time he had purchased a used car and it got repoed. He just got served today and is being sued for $6500. What is the best thing for him to do at this point? I'm not sure if he can afford to go through all the legal process. My mom is having surgery for a tumor next week so he's just out of it and doesn't know what to do.

Any Advice??

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

To make a long story short my dad got into some financial hardship last year. During that time he had purchased a used car and it got repoed. He just got served today and is being sued for $6500. What is the best thing for him to do at this point? I'm not sure if he can afford to go through all the legal process. My mom is having surgery for a tumor next week so he's just out of it and doesn't know what to do.

Any Advice??
Answer the summons for starters. Pay the debt.

dolebot

I'm not sure if he can afford to go through all the legal process.
It costs nothing to go pro se but time. Not advisable, but its not out of the question if he truly can't afford an attorney.

If you mean healthwise, then I'm sorry, but its either hire an attorney or represent himself.

Wirelessany1 speaks the truth. Answer the summons at teh very least and show up for court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">