• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dad died, didnt bequest house in will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobsib

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My dad died. In his will He bequested all "tangible personal property" to my brother ans all "residual property" to me.
After he had his will drawn up he bought a house which he didnt have added to his will, so it was bequested to no one.
My brother beleives that the house goes to him because he gets all "tangible property".
I contacted a lawyer who told me that "tangible property includes all items in the house but NOT the house itself, and since dad left the house to no one it would fall under the "residual property" part of the will which means it would go to me.
Just looking for other opinions.
bob

shakerbox

Opinions don't matter much. I believe your lawyer should be your guide.

Real property normall includes land buildings, and things attached to them.

Tangible property normally includes things you can "touch" - furniture, appliances, books, contents.

Intangible property normally includes stocks, bonds, bank accounts, etc.

BelizeBreeze

TANGIBLE PROPERTY is Property that has physical substance and can be touched; Anything other than real estate or money, including furniture, cars, jewelry and china. Intangible property (example; a check account) lacks this physical quality.

Your attorney is correct

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">