• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad sets my car on fire because I won't apologize.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenny151618

What is the name of your state? TN

Is there anything I can do? The car is in my name but under my mom's and dad's insurance. He set my car on fire while I was visiting at his house. He started to drink and I said something so he said he would set my car on fire if I didn't do as he said. I did not do as he said so he set my car on fire. I'm 22 years old.

Just Blue

Is there anything I can do? The car is in my name but under my mom's and dad's insurance. He set my car on fire while I was visiting at his house. He started to drink and I said something so he said he would set my car on fire if I didn't do as he said. I did not do as he said so he set my car on fire. I'm 22 years old.
File a complaint with the police.

CdwJava

As suggested, call the police and report the vandalism.

If the car is in your name, why are your parents paying the insurance? Is the LOAN in their name?

You may also find that if you (or your parents) have any hope of the insurance company paying off on the car that you will have to have a police report. If your parents are the insured parties, then the insurance company may not be obligated to pay out if dad burned the car.

xylene

You dad is a dangerous abuser.

Get out of there before you get killed or hurt.

Urge your mom to do the same but don't stay to save her. You are an adult. Stay away from this horrible toxic person.

Report the fire to the police. You really should have reported it immediately, like while on fire.

adjusterjack

Is there anything I can do?
Sure. Get him arrested and thrown in jail. I'm surprised that didn't happen when the fire department showed up and figured out what happened.

I can almost guarantee that the insurance won't pay so you will have to sue him for the money for the car. Good luck with that.

commentator

I almost bet there's something about the situation and/or financing and/or insurance on the car that we're not getting here. OP, is the "dad and mom" whose insurance you are on the same as the dad who set your car on fire when you were "at his house?"

Do you own the car free and clear? If not, who has the car financed? Is it you and the bank, or him and the bank or them and the bank or a dealership?

How exactly did he set the car on fire? I mean was it something very obvious like pouring gasoline on it and lighting it up, or did he mess up something internal that could've been believably an accident? I've seen cars catch on fire by accident. Did the fire department show up?? There are many places in TN where you could burn a car and it wouldn't happen. Can you prove he did it, and deliberately, since you didn't call in the law at once?

Last edited:

Maymee

Call the police. That is your only option. If the DA believes there is enough evidence, your father will be charged criminally. Being as the car is insured (even if it's paid by them because the car is titled to you, you are also on the policy), file a claim with the agency and get your car repaired or replaced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Call the police. That is your only option. If the DA believes there is enough evidence, your father will be charged criminally.
This was already said above.
Being as the car is insured (even if it's paid by them because the car is titled to you, you are also on the policy), file a claim with the agency and get your car repaired or replaced.
Why do you believe that the policy will pay anything for the intentional (possibly criminal) act of the policyholder?

jyotisharma2859

OMG... shocked to hear this. You dad is aggressive. Well, try to resolve this issue by talking if you find it helpful else ask police for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">