• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage after closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c362137

What is the name of your state? California.

We sold our home with the appliances included. The new owners didn't go to the house, or turn power on for several days after closing.

The ice from the icemaker in the freezer melted and damaged the floor. They want us to pay for it.

I'm saying if they would have either got the power turned on so it wouldn't have happened, or went to the house and saw the water and gotten it dried up this wouldn't have happened.

Are we responsible?

adjusterjack

My opinion for the two cents that it's worth: They owned the house at the moment of COE. It was their responsibility to go secure it. If the house wasn't damaged before COE it's not your problem.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California.

We sold our home with the appliances included. The new owners didn't go to the house, or turn power on for several days after closing.

The ice from the icemaker in the freezer melted and damaged the floor. They want us to pay for it.

I'm saying if they would have either got the power turned on so it wouldn't have happened, or went to the house and saw the water and gotten it dried up this wouldn't have happened.

Are we responsible?
Did you keep the power on and in your name until closing - or did you shut it off earlier?

LdiJ

I am going to play the devil's advocate for a moment (although I tend to agree with AJ). Turning off the power doesn't disconnect the water supply to the fridge. So, not only does one have to deal with the ice melting but the potential for the water to keep flowing into the fridge. It probably would have been wiser to both empty the ice bucket and to make sure that the ice maker was turned off.

However that is hindsight.

c362137

Yes we kept power on until we left after closing.

I don't think water would continue to flow with no power. The electrical valve in the frig wouldn't work, so no water would flow... I'm pretty sure.

quincy

I don't think water would continue to flow with no power. The electrical valve in the frig wouldn't work, so no water would flow... I'm pretty sure.
In that case, the new homeowners are responsible for any damage to the house after closing.

STEPHAN

Did the buyer do a final walkthrough just before closing or did they waive the right to do so? Can you find something like that in your contact?

adjusterjack

They waived their walk through.
And didn't go to the property for several days after closing. Yikes.

At this point if they contact you again, or anybody contacts you, the only thing you say is "no comment." Then you stop talking. It's the talking that gets you into trouble. The more they can get you to talk, the more likely you'll say something that will come back to bite you.

LdiJ

If you are correct then the only water could be from melting ice, and only melting ice that would have overflowed the actual bucket. The odds of that being enough water to cause any kind of real damage is pretty slim...unless of course you dared the fates by having flooring in a kitchen that could actually be seriously damaged by a small amount of water.

quincy

If you are correct then the only water could be from melting ice, and only melting ice that would have overflowed the actual bucket. The odds of that being enough water to cause any kind of real damage is pretty slim...unless of course you dared the fates by having flooring in a kitchen that could actually be seriously damaged by a small amount of water.
I think I would have worried more about mold forming in the refrigerator after being shut up for several days without power.

LdiJ

I think I would have worried more about mold forming in the refrigerator after being shut up for several days without power.
That really depends on how clean the OP left it...but there is no doubt that the buyers could not make a claim about that if they did not immediately turn on the power.

I really do not feel that this is the OP's problem but I did feel it wise to play the devil's advocate a bit. The practical reality of things is that if the water could not continue to flow without power, and the only possibility was melt that exceeded the bucket (which couldn't have been much) a claim of water damage is a bit questionable.

quincy

Adjusterjack offered solid advice. c362137 really should not speak to the new owners (or their representatives) at all. If the new owners actually decide to sue over the damaged floor, c362137 at that time should speak to an attorney.

I don’t see (at least from what has been said here so far) that the new owners have a claim to pursue against c362137. Hopefully the new owners thought to have the house fully insured by closing.

c362137

It was a door feeder for the ice. All the ice melted out the bottom.

c362137

That really depends on how clean the OP left it...but there is no doubt that the buyers could not make a claim about that if they did not immediately turn on the power.

I really do not feel that this is the OP's problem but I did feel it wise to play the devil's advocate a bit. The practical reality of things is that if the water could not continue to flow without power, and the only possibility was melt that exceeded the bucket (which couldn't have been much) a claim of water damage is a bit questionable.
We left it spotless. Unlike the people we bought the new house from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">