• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage by a Moving Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abby

In August of 1999 I had a moving company move my belongings from their storage to my apartment. They caused some major damage to my furniture. I have been waiting for a response until now. Everytime I call them they tell me that the insurance company had the paperwork. I recently contacted them for a status on my claim and they told me that according to my contract I am only entitled to .60 cents a pound and that they have a $1,000 deductible with the insurance company so we have to try to settle it between ourselves. Then they proceeded to tell me that the insurance doesn't cover the damage anyway because I signed a waiver for the insurance. They made me fill out all kinds of forms and send them quotes for the damages which ranged from 1,600 to 1,900 and now they tell me that they will only cover $210 worth of the damage. My sofa was torn in three places, it needs to be reupholstered. If I wasn't covered under "the contract" then why did they request so much paperwork. I think that they realized they had a $1,000 deductible and now refuse to pay out of pocket. If it was only minor scratches I would leave it alone but the damages were major. What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">