• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage from Common Area

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

festival

I did not (completely) ignore that section. My first post says " not including the paint on the wall and your personal property." The section you quoted fills in some more exclusions.

The Florida Statute requires the association to pay to repair the condo unit, in most cases:
"(j) Any portion of the condominium property that must be insured by the association against property loss pursuant to paragraph (f) which is damaged by an insurable event shall be reconstructed, repaired, or replaced as necessary by the association as a common expense."

Regarding the $2500 deductible, it is an association expense in most cases. (j) also states:
"All property insurance deductibles and other damages in excess of property insurance coverage under the property insurance policies maintained by the association are a common expense of the condominium, except that:..." and then there is a long list that I do not think applies, might though.

An exception:
"(k) An association may, upon the approval of a majority of the total voting interests in the association, opt out of the provisions of paragraph (j) …"

Did I ignore any more statutes? Sure did. There is a lot more detail. Read the linked articles that explain it. Again, put in insurance claims to work out all the details.

festival

Sorry, I thought the $2500 was the association's deductible. The association does not pay for your deductible. Their insurance should pay to fix your unit (not including personal property), and the association pays their own deductible. In most cases.

justalayman

I did not (completely) ignore that section. My first post says " not including the paint on the wall and your personal property." The section you quoted fills in some more exclusions.

The Florida Statute requires the association to pay to repair the condo unit, in most cases:
"(j) Any portion of the condominium property that must be insured by the association against property loss pursuant to paragraph (f) which is damaged by an insurable event shall be reconstructed, repaired, or replaced as necessary by the association as a common expense."

Regarding the $2500 deductible, it is an association expense in most cases. (j) also states:
"All property insurance deductibles and other damages in excess of property insurance coverage under the property insurance policies maintained by the association are a common expense of the condominium, except that:..." and then there is a long list that I do not think applies, might though.

An exception:
"(k) An association may, upon the approval of a majority of the total voting interests in the association, opt out of the provisions of paragraph (j) …

Did I ignore any more statutes? Sure did. There is a lot more detail. Read the linked articles that explain it. Again, put in insurance claims to work out all the details.
The $2500 deductible is the op’s insurance. The hoa does not have to pay That

It also has not been established this was an insurable event

But beyond anything else, can you guess where mold is seen by the op? Maybe on the wall covering? The repair consists of treating the mold, which is again, on the surface of the wall.

festival

$4,000 in damage is greater than your deductible of $2500. Have you made a claim on your insurance? It would likely straighten out a lot of this. I suspect that some of that $4000 is for the common elements. Is the wall between condos a common element?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">