• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to car at dealership - unsure if I need law help or legal help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kamcknig

I live in North Carolina.

While my partner and I were at a dealership where she ultimately purchased a car, I had plugged in my Mustang Mach E to one of the dealership's charging ports. At some point, I got a notification the car had stopped charging; I made the assumption another person or employee had simply plugged in another car. 15 minutes later while waiting on paperwork we go outside and I notice that the car was unplugged and the charge port door cover (a piece that looks like it simply clips on over the black plastic that is the door itself) was missing. It wasn't on the ground under or around it either, and a Tesla belonging to the dealership was plugged in instead.

I told a sales manager about it, and he said someone would help. Another employee came outside, took pictures, asked if I was sure it was on before we came, and ultimately said he would take care of it. Unfortunately I didn't get that specific "deal" to replace the part in writing. However, we exchanged numbers and I have all text records.

I have now texted him 5-7 days apart for 30 days asking for updates. Not once did he offer an update on his own. His first response was that he was sick for a week, the next time he asked for my VIN and said he was waiting on parts. Third, he confirmed that the part was ordered and on its way and would take five days, maybe one more for painting (so while i don't have docs saying he would specifically replace a part, he has talked about a part being ordered for me on record). I have now texted twice more since then and received no response any longer.

I have now been trying to contact the General Manager of the dealership, which is an entirely different story on its own and has been a pain, but so far have been unsuccessful, though I do have an employee that stated she would send my request to her manager with the request that it go to the General Manager.

My question is this; if I'm unable to get ahold of the General Manager or if they are unable or unwilling to fix the situation, should this be reported to the police? Or should that be skipped (maybe because I've waited too long?) and should a lawyer be involved?

Thank you,
Kyle

How expensive are the parts?
Have you spoken to anyone else at the dealership?
Have you sent mail or email regarding this?

kamcknig

The part probably isn't that expensive. I would hazard a guess less than $500, though I have yet to go through the process of contacting a dealership for Ford to find out.

I have attempted to speak to people, but I wanted to make sure it was managerial, and the communication issues I've been having make it feel sketchy, it's very unclear who you're speaking with when you call and their main receptionist extension never picks up and goes to voicemail. I have left a message with a person at their service department that claimed she would send it to her manager.

I have emailed through their main website's contact page, but I suspect that goes to their call center like the phone number does (it doesn't go directly to the dealership). I do not know how to find any other emails to try.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I live in North Carolina.
My question is this; if I'm unable to get ahold of the General Manager or if they are unable or unwilling to fix the situation, should this be reported to the police? Or should that be skipped (maybe because I've waited too long?) and should a lawyer be involved?
You may want to report it to the police, although there isn't anything they can do about it at this point unless there is a video showing what happened. It might help you with an insurance claim with your insurer.

For a part that may only be worth $500 it won't be cost effective to hire a lawyer for this. You may file a claim in small claims for it, but you bear the burden of proving that either a dealership employee did the damage or that the dealership was somehow negligent and that that negligence was the cause of the damage.

Was there any sign at the charging station saying people other than employees could use the charging port? Did an employee say it was ok for you to use it? Just because you see a car charging port somewhere doesn't automatically mean you can use it. That electricity you were using costs the dealership money and it may not want everyone who comes on to the lot to use it.

kamcknig

You may want to report it to the police, although there isn't anything they can do about it at this point unless there is a video showing what happened. It might help you with an insurance claim with your insurer.
I thought that about the video, and the timing of him stopping talking to me around 30 days has me thinking conspiracies like that's when they delete video (after 30 days)

For a part that may only be worth $500 it won't be cost effective to hire a lawyer for this. You may file a claim in small claims for it, but you bear the burden of proving that either a dealership employee did the damage or that the dealership was somehow negligent and that that negligence was the cause of the damage.
Also what I was thinking with the cost of the part.

Was there any sign at the charging station saying people other than employees could use the charging port? Did an employee say it was ok for you to use it? Just because you see a car charging port somewhere doesn't automatically mean you can use it. That electricity you were using costs the dealership money and it may not want everyone who comes on to the lot to use it.
No signs, though I did ask an employee beforehand if I was allowed, but I won't have a record of that.

What you're saying confirms what I thought myself. I will simply hope that I'm able to get ahold of a manager that can move things along. If not I'll make a report to the police simply so there is a record and as you say for insurance purposes.

Thank you.

zddoodah

unsure if I need law help or legal help
What do you think is the difference between "law help" and "legal help"?

My question is this; if I'm unable to get ahold of the General Manager or if they are unable or unwilling to fix the situation, should this be reported to the police?
You haven't described anything that would suggest a crime occurred. However, if you have zero deductible collision coverage, you might want to report it for insurance purposes. However, most policies have a deductible of at least $500, and this doodad appears to cost quite a bit less than that.

should a lawyer be involved?
Based on my google search, it looks like this thing costs less than $150. Paying a lawyer $200+ per hour for something that costs $150 would be downright silly. If you can't get this resolved, you can sue in small claims court.

Bali Hai Again

Google and find this plastic ornamental charge port door cover falls off easily in a car wash, waxing by hand, bumping your body into the open door or pressing in the wrong spot when trying to open or close the charging port door.

You can find a black replacement at Walmart for less than $20. If you want a color matched painted OEM replacement it will be $100 +/- and hope the color matches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">