• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to Dealership Loaner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ed Suttner

My car repairs were not completed on Friday so the dealership gave me a loaner. I wrecked it Saturday evening. In the accident no one was injured and there was no property damage. I returned the loaner Monday evening (the service department is closed Sunday). On Tuesday when my car was ready the dealership would not release it until I paid their insurance's $1000 deductible on the loaner. No paperwork was signed when I picked up the loaner -- the service department was already closed so the receptionist simply handed me the key. I was given no information about their insurance coverage or offered a collision damage waiver like a rental agency would do. My car is old so I do not carry collision. Considering that and the high deductible of their insurance I probably would not have accepted the loaner. Can the dealership legally hold my car for ransom and can they hold me responsible for the deductible? My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">