• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damaged Goods from Workers at Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmyMichelle222

What is the name of your state? California
I moved in to my apartment 3 months ago. Prior to signing the lease, I asked if there were any plumbing issues and was told there was nothing wrong with the plumbing. About a month later, I received a notice stating that they were going to be taking out all of the pipes in the building due to plumbing issues and replacing them. They stated that the plumbers would be in our places from the hours of 8-5 so as to avoid causing any inconveniences with living situations. The plumbers have been in my house until after 8 pm at night so I have not had access to my place OR my bathroom until about 9pm because when they have left, they do not clean up after themselves and I have to clean all the dirt and mud out of my bathroom before I can use it. Also, my bathroom has flooded 4 times since they started working and they still have not fixed it and the property management company ignores my calls about the flooding. I have missed two days of work, have damage to property, and have emotional distress from dealing with these issues for approximately 2 weeks already and I still can't get the property management or the owner to help me. With regards to my property damage, and the days I was unable to inhabit my place, and with my missed work, how can I get compensated without being evicted? I feel like I should take money from the rent but I don't know if that is the right way to go. Can someone please help. I have a one year lease and I want out and I want my damaged property paid for along with my missed days from work.

BL

You failed to State what property of YOURS was damaged .

Never with hold rent with out the advice of a LL/tenant Attorney .

It would be up to a Judge on how much , if any , amounts you would be entitled to for lose of facilities , and damage , when you file suit .

The LL can not retaliate if you do.

AmyMichelle222

State of damaged goods

My property that was damaged includes a brand new expensive rug, plants, cabinet, some appliances, bathroom appliances, etc. I live in California and I am not sure of the laws regarding tenant rights. I put everything together and am taking pictures. The property management company has told me that I could get out of my lease if I write them a letter, but they have not stated that they would replace my goods. Also, I don't know if they really mean that or if they are just trying to shut me up. It is going to take me some time to locate another place to live because I travel alot for business and I do not have much time to look but I don't want to find another lemon rental. I was also told by a neighbor that they want to be able to raise the rent on my place once the pipes are replaced so they want me out of the lease so they can get someone else in for more money. But I can't prove that, however, since they are ignoring my calls regarding the flooding, that would make sense.

Last edited:

south

You forgot to add a car and some nice jewelery went missing.. Stick to the truth/facts and document receipts pictures of damage etc do not go of on a money hungry tangent.

They can raise the rent to any amount they want as long as it is legaly raised. Raising rent is not a secret.

You should mention to the landlord to tell the workers to clean up after themselves leaving your place dirty is simply bad workmanship, in fact leave a polite note for the workers that you live there and could they clean up each day.

AmyMichelle222 said:
My property that was damaged includes a brand new expensive rug, plants, cabinet, some appliances, bathroom appliances, etc. I live in California and I am not sure of the laws regarding tenant rights. I put everything together and am taking pictures. The property management company has told me that I could get out of my lease if I write them a letter, but they have not stated that they would replace my goods. Also, I don't know if they really mean that or if they are just trying to shut me up. It is going to take me some time to locate another place to live because I travel alot for business and I do not have much time to look but I don't want to find another lemon rental. I was also told by a neighbor that they want to be able to raise the rent on my place once the pipes are replaced so they want me out of the lease so they can get someone else in for more money. But I can't prove that, however, since they are ignoring my calls regarding the flooding, that would make sense.

Last edited:

BL

I,m not Familiar with CA. LL/tenant laws either , but gather as much info. as you can , (pictures you already have ) , their worth or approx. worth ( you have to produce some kind of value ) for Damages .

If the Management /LL is willing to let you out of the lease , make sure it is writing, dated , and signed . Make sure each of you has a copy .

Any communications should be in writing return receipt Certified requested .

In the Certified Letter , I'd also request them to adjust your rent ( or pay you compensation ) for the Lose of facilities , your property damage , and moving cost .

Explain if they are unwilling to fulfill your demands you will have no other choice but to file a claim in Court .

JETX

AmyMichelle222 said:
With regards to my property damage, and the days I was unable to inhabit my place, and with my missed work, how can I get compensated without being evicted?
Start with putting your concerns as to the REAL damages into writing and sending to the landlord, asking what can/will do to help you. Let us know what their response is.

I feel like I should take money from the rent but I don't know if that is the right way to go.
Its not.

I have a one year lease and I want out and I want my damaged property paid for along with my missed days from work.
Okay, so you have whined to us about this problem.... but what EXACTLY have to you done to work WITH the landlord about it??
Have you notified them in WRITING of the long work days?
Have you notified them in WRITING of their failure to clean up?
Have you notified them in WRITING of your damages?

AmyMichelle222

Message to South reply

I am not sure what you mean by jewelry and a car, but everything that is damaged is either due to the water or the thick dirt that covered my bathroom when the workers left. My rug is completely damaged from the flooding. I am not claiming anything that is not visibly evident from the damage, and I have taken pictures, and saved all items and it is obvious how these things were damaged. I have all receipts and I am not throwing anything that is damaged away. I am not looking to make any money, it is about the lack of concern for property. Tenants should not just sit back and allow their items to be damaged, no matter how small. That is not right. We are expected to take care of the place we rent, and we should not have to sacrifice our belongings when rental units must be fixed due to old pipes, etc. Thank you for your reply anyway!

AmyMichelle222

Putting everything in writing and contacting landlord

The landlord will not return my calls and I have left several messages. I have put everything in writing and documented all issues, including dates and times, who is involved, property damaged and pictures. I have talked with other unit tenants and they are having similar leaking issues along with damage, and no return calls. I just want to be compensated even if the damage is only a couple hundred bucks...and I don't care about the money, I just want my damaged goods replaced with the same items. But, yes, I am documenting everything and I am taking pictures and noting every time the bathroom gets flooded and I am noting every time I make a call to the landlord/property management team. For me, this is about lost work, lost time, damaged goods due to poor workmanship. I am even willing to hire my own plumber to fix this issue so that I don't have to keep dealing with this. But I still want my damaged items replaced. The bathroom has flooded four times since last Tuesday.

south

Ok lets not try and pull the wool over anyone’s eyes its always about the money otherwise it would not be mentioned.

Never the less if the workers made a mess then the landlord needs to arrange a clean up either the workers are responsible or the landlord should arrange to clean up, by your post you make it sound like they went on a rampage damaging everything in site which I highly doubt.

It sounds like they came in and soiled the floors call the landlord first and ask him to arrange to clean the carpets in your place or if he wishes you will arrange it and send him the bill.

Leaving a mess is in excusable

AmyMichelle222 said:
The landlord will not return my calls and I have left several messages. I have put everything in writing and documented all issues, including dates and times, who is involved, property damaged and pictures. I have talked with other unit tenants and they are having similar leaking issues along with damage, and no return calls. I just want to be compensated even if the damage is only a couple hundred bucks...and I don't care about the money, I just want my damaged goods replaced with the same items. But, yes, I am documenting everything and I am taking pictures and noting every time the bathroom gets flooded and I am noting every time I make a call to the landlord/property management team. For me, this is about lost work, lost time, damaged goods due to poor workmanship. I am even willing to hire my own plumber to fix this issue so that I don't have to keep dealing with this. But I still want my damaged items replaced. The bathroom has flooded four times since last Tuesday.

AmyMichelle222

Reply to South

Thanks for the advice about the mess...I did tell the workers and asked them nicely to clean up. Unfortunately, they do not speak English very well so I am not sure they understood me. It is tile in the bathroom, not carpet, so I have been cleaning up the flooding since the second time because the workers went into my cabinet and used my towels to clean up the flooding the first time and that annoyed me a bit because my towels got ruined. I will just keep leaving notes though just in case. Thanks again!

south

If they are spanish leave this note:

Limpie por favor encima del lío cuando usted ha acabado cada día que tengo que todavía vivir aquí gracias

Translation is: Please clean up the mess when you have finished each day I have to live here still thankyou

AmyMichelle222 said:
Thanks for the advice about the mess...I did tell the workers and asked them nicely to clean up. Unfortunately, they do not speak English very well so I am not sure they understood me. It is tile in the bathroom, not carpet, so I have been cleaning up the flooding since the second time because the workers went into my cabinet and used my towels to clean up the flooding the first time and that annoyed me a bit because my towels got ruined. I will just keep leaving notes though just in case. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">