• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damaged goods...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cactii

While motorcycle shopping in AZ, I accidentally dropped one used motorcycle into another, resulting in some minor damage to each vehicle.

Am I liable for any damages, and to what extent? The dealer wanted me to pay on the spot without providing a written estimate, and used retail parts (new) and labor prices, including sales tax. I gave them, upon request, a copy of my driver's license and phone number.

Should I wait for them to contact me? Should I consult with a lawyer? Should I offer payment?

Thanks!

ALawyer

As far as the dealer goes, why not wait until they contact you, as they may drop the matter and not want to bother. As you did damage their merchandise -- unless you were not at fault, as if it was set up in a way that it was inevitable someone would cause the damage -- as a matter of right you should pay the fair value of the damage. BUT they would have to sue you to collect if you are non-cooperative, and so as a practical matter you have a lot of negotiating room. You can say you will pay only a certain amount voluntarily and if they want more they'd have to sue for it. Also, under some conditions it may possibly be covered by YOUR auto insurance or homeowners company, and if you expect there may be a big bill to pay, you p[robably should report it to see if you may be covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">