• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages caused by roommates dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Level1Adult

My roommate has allowed her dog to not only tear a large hole into the carpet, but has also allowed him to urinate and defecate on the carpet. The damages I know will be quite hefty, and Im afraid that because both of our names are on the lease, even though it is not my dog, I will be forces to help pay for damages. I think he is already a registered pet on our lease (she told me she has told management but I have yet to check) so they know he is here but they havent seen what he has done. I was wondering if I would still be liable for damages or if this would fall on my roommate. (His adoption papers and microchip say he is hers, my name is not on any documents besides the lease to the place we share)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would be liable (jointly and severally) to the landlord. You can pursue compensation from your roommate, if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">