• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages Due To Fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? california

A few months back I had a small fire in the condo that I rent. My landlord had the insurance adjuster come out and do an estimate to fix the damages.
(Just need to paint, replace blinds and replace section of carpet)

My landlord never contacted me after that and no repairs were made.
Now I have Farmer's Insurance trying to collect the $2700.00 that was paid to my landlord.

Am I responsible for this amount? Would this be considered fraud on his part?

I haven't contacted my landlord yet, because I'm worried that he might have the work done and then I'd really would be responsible


Senior Member
You need to check the Landlord- Tenent laws in your state. I don't believe he's allowed to just no make the required repairs.

Debt Guy

Senior Member
Well, if the fire was your fault, my guess is that somehow you've got to pay for it. Every lease I've seen contains language that makes you financially responsible for damage you cause.

It sounds like the landlord filed a claim with his insurance company. If they are coming after you for recovery, that means they have already paid the claim.

Insurance polices contain what is called a subrogation clause. That means the insurance company gets to step into the shoes of the landlord when they pay the claim. It means they have the right to pursue the claim of the landlord.

Lady in Red is right. Get to know and love the landlord-tenant laws in CA. But, my thinking is that you are on the hook for this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential