• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages Query

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?District of Columbia... Struck in the knee by a car making a left in daylight and 100% visibility. GEICO is the insurer. I am an IT professional and get jobs by the day from IT support websites. My per diem is $675. Was see by a neighbor... a retired physician who suggested three days rest My question is: What could one claim for pain and suffering. How could GEICO counter my claim? What have'nt I considered. Guidance sought.

adjusterjack

What could one claim for pain and suffering.
You can "claim" anywhere between a dollar and a gazillion dollars. What you'll be offered, if you are offered anything at all, is a few hundred in go-away money.

Your neighbor's diagnosis and treatment suggestion isn't worth a nickel. If you can't understand why, I don't know what to tell you.

As for loss of income, well, I suspect you can still do your IT work while resting your knee. So you'll have a hard time justifying any loss of income.

How could GEICO counter my claim?
One way would be to counter that you were negligent in walking out in front of a moving vehicle, maybe going against the light, whatever.

Another way is to just dispute the amount of damages you claim. Were I the GEICO adjuster I'd offer you a couple of hundred for a signed release and send you on your way. You haven't won the personal injury lottery.

Guidance sought.
Here's some guidance. Get yourself checked out by a proper medical professional, X-rays, medication, etc, and then maybe your claim will be worth a few hundred more than it is now, maybe a lot more if the impact did some real damage. Knees are easily damaged. Don't mess with this.

ALawyer

Agree fully with AdjusterJack.

If you believe you suffered any personal injury don't mess around and see a real doctor, as if there is a broken knee, or similar damage, prompt treatment is often very important. You are far better off healthy than possibly getting a somewhat higher settlement if the damage becomes permanent.

As for getting money for "pain and suffering" while insurance companies may offer a small amount to get a general release and limit their future liability, they are likely to pay out real money only if you are represented by an attorney.

xylene

You have a personal injury claim with substantial losses. Consult a lawyer or go with the insurer...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't make 700 bucks a week. I'm a nobody. It's good to be you. :sneaky:
He's got 3 days out of work at $350 per day, as suggested by his neighbor (a non-practicing physician). $350 per day is $1,050.00. You can't suggest (with a straight face) that the OP has "serious injuries". ETA (or losses even).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">