• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damages to unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SassACass

Iowa
I moved out on September 30th, my landlord just sent me a damages bill on October 31st. He’s emailed me a bill that he wrote up himself after ignoring every attempt to contact him prior to me moving out and hasn’t answered my calls. Is he allowed to do this? I did have damages to the carpet but he’s saying $1,200 for that and $85 to have it cleaned.

Gail in Georgia

Is this money taken from your security deposit?

In Iowa, a landlord has 30 days to either return a security deposit after the tenant has vacated (returned the keys) the rental unit or provide information as to the status of such.

You acknowledge you did do damages to the carpet. Was this $1200 for carpet replacement after the cleaning could not take care of these damages or did this involve other damages or perhaps owed rent to the unit?

Have you taken pictures of the condition of the rental unit at move out to dispute any other claims of damage?

More information is needed.

Gail

adjusterjack

Iowa
I moved out on September 30th, my landlord just sent me a damages bill on October 31st. He’s emailed me a bill that he wrote up himself after ignoring every attempt to contact him prior to me moving out and hasn’t answered my calls. Is he allowed to do this? I did have damages to the carpet but he’s saying $1,200 for that and $85 to have it cleaned.
The actual requirement quoted from the Iowa security deposit statute is:

A landlord shall, within thirty days from the date of termination of the tenancy and receipt of the tenant’s mailing address or delivery instructions
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/2019/562A.12.pdf

Both elements apply. When did you provide your "mailing address or delivery instructions"?

izzie02

In other words. If you moved in three years ago and the carpet was old then you don't need to pay for the full value of new carpet. I think of carpet is 10 years old it has no value. If carpet was new when you moved in and lived for 2 years and you ruined all carpet and all needs to be replaced then take 20% off the landlords replacement which you used and paid rent for those 2 years. Did he actually replace carpet, if so you need to see the actual bill for carpet and installation.
Did you take move in and move out pictures. Was there a move in check list to notate all conditions of home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">