• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dating during divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

livinfree

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
my question concerns me. i am divorced for a couple of years now. i just recently met someone great, it has been seven months since she has filed the petition for divorce and my question is if its alright for this woman to date me.....etc. before the divorce is final. she has three kids at home. her husband threats that he can put stipulations into the divorce as far as for her dating goes. is there anything that could hurt her as far as the divorce goes if i was visiting her at her home..... etc. any reprecutions to us seeing each other in the sense of her husband making it hard for her in the divorce proceedings.

H

hexeliebe

Her husband is going to make it hard for her during the divorce whether or not you date her or she is celibate.

The soon-to-be ex is pissing in the wind.

dequeendistress

Ex's and soon to be ex's strive on making life hard for the other.

There maybe a clause in the custody or temporary custody papers which defines overnight visitors of the opposite sex while the children are present.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Most any lawyer will tell her that while she "can" date before her divorce is done, it is not always the wisest idea. You're not exactly in a swingin' state, ya know? Judges have a great deal of discretion, and if she has someone conservative on the bench she may find that things don't go as she may have liked. And yes, her husband can have stipulations entered (that would also affect him).

Apart from that... there are three kids involved. Kids whose lives are being turned upside down. In all honesty, this is not the best time for a parent to be dating. Her focus really should be on getting her kids through this rough time as emotionaly healthy as possible.

Should she decide to date you anyway, a few thoughts. The majority of relationships that commence during and immediately after divorce do not last. For a variety of reasons. Bearing that in mind, I would urge you to not get involved with her kids in any way, shape or form until it seems it's a long term relationship. They don't need guy after guy waltzing in and out of their lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">