• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter hurt at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nadine007

Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Georgia. My daughter was playing on the playground at school during recess, (she is 5 years old), and fell off the monkeybar blacking her eye, scraping her chest and bruising a few other parts of her body. She also compained about her eye "jumping" so I took her to the eye doctor, costing $135.00. we are between insurance right now so she was not covered. Does the school have any responsibility in this? She was out of school for 2 days because of this. Thanks for any insight.
 


I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Senior Member
nadine007 said:
What is the name of your state?Georgia. My daughter was playing on the playground at school during recess, (she is 5 years old), and fell off the monkeybar blacking her eye, scraping her chest and bruising a few other parts of her body. She also compained about her eye "jumping" so I took her to the eye doctor, costing $135.00. we are between insurance right now so she was not covered. Does the school have any responsibility in this? She was out of school for 2 days because of this. Thanks for any insight.

My response:

Simple answer - - no.

IAAL
 

jity

Member
You can in a very nice letter ask if they will help with the bills, all they can say is yes or no or ignore you.
 

djohnson

Senior Member
jity said:
You can in a very nice letter ask if they will help with the bills, all they can say is yes or no or ignore you.

And you really think that a public school is going to volunteer to give money to someone when they don't have to? You are more naive than I first thought. It would be waste of time. It's not the school's fault you don't have insurance.
 

jity

Member
djohnson said:
And you really think that a public school is going to volunteer to give money to someone when they don't have to? You are more naive than I first thought. It would be waste of time. It's not the school's fault you don't have insurance.
You have a lot to learn with what's right or what's settled or even wrongly settled. You don't have a clue. Your really naive!
 

Some Random Guy

Senior Member
Originally Posted by jity
"You can in a very nice letter ask if they will help with the bills, all they can say is yes or no or ignore you. "

If the school were to send you any money in response to your letter, then they would be admirting responsibility and would be in a very bad spot if you then decided to sue them over your daughter's injuries for $50,000. If the school has any sense (or attorneys), they would not pay a dime.

Secondly, nothing in your post indicates negligence on the school's part. The school generously provided a place for children to play. Physical play carries risks of physical injury - that's the world that we live in. I don't want my children limited to padded walls and soft foam play toys just because overprotective and overlitigous parents are worried about injuries.
 

jity

Member
Some Random Guy said:
Originally Posted by jity
"You can in a very nice letter ask if they will help with the bills, all they can say is yes or no or ignore you. "

If the school were to send you any money in response to your letter, then they would be admirting responsibility
You ever heard of a release of all claims? good faith payment? The OP stated that she is between insurance and needed help w/ $135 [so far] I gave the OP information and possible direction, unlike you.
 

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Senior Member
jity said:
You ever heard of a release of all claims? good faith payment? The OP stated that she is between insurance and needed help w/ $135 [so far] I gave the OP information and possible direction, unlike you.

My response:

School Districts have Governmental Immunity from this type of incident. If every child, who got hurt like this, could make a claim and obtain compensation, the District would soon run out of funds.

There is no liability; ergo, there will be no money for this writer or her child.

IAAL
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top