• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter is permanently disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
Texas but this happened in North Carolina
On Oct 6th I received a phone call from my daughters boyfriend he said she had fallen in the bathroom but he had cleaned her up and she was in bed. On Monday I tried calling her with no answer, the same on Tuesday, on Wednesday I tried again and when I couldn't reach her I called the boyfriends cell and he said she was at home in bed. At that time I deceided to call Mr Murray but he wasn't in so I tried again in the afternoon and asked him if he could check on Melissa, when he got there no one answered and he called the deputies for a welfare check. They found my daughter on the bed and called an ambulance, she was taken to the local hospital and then was airlifted to Pitt Memorial Trauma Hospital in critical condition. She had a brain bleed, a blood clot, jaw broken on both sides, black eye and bruises from her head to her feet. She has now been in the ICU since 10-9-2008 and today is 12-1-2008. She has since had fluid on her brain and has a drain on both the left and right side of her brain, also has staph meningitis, the doctor today said she will be disabled for the rest of her life. The boyfriend has not been charged for anything, and he left her lying for six days with no medical help and all the doctors at the hospital said that she could not have received the injuries she had from falling in the bathroom. I would like to know if I could file a civil case against the boyfriend since the police don't seem to be doing anything. They keep saying they have to hear her say that the boyfriend did it but she will not be able to. She is not speaking now but when she was able to a little she told one of the nurses her boyfriend did it.Please help me, Thank you Marian


Senior Member

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. My heart really goes out to you. I can honestly say that I know what you are going through. My daughter was in a motor vehicle accident in May and has been comatose ever since.

You know, a civil action against this man isn't going to help you heal. It is actually going to take attention away from your daughter. Just think of all the time and effort you will expend dealing with attorneys instead of spending the time with your daughter.

In the even that the justice system can help you criminally then do whatever you can in that sense. I would also make sure that boyfriend is kept far away from your daughter.

You are in for a very long and hard road. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can pm me and I will gladly get in contact with you.

My love and my prayers are with you, your family and your daughter.

take care, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential