• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter signed child over to in-laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nana2three

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My daughter and her husband recently went through some very stressful times. During the upheaval, her husband's parents "talked" them both into signing custody of their 9 month old daughter over to them.

I received a copy of the papers that they signed on June 25th. My daughter and son-in-law now regret the decision, but his parents keep saying they can't change their minds. The petition for custody has been filed in court, but there is no judge's signature or judgement on it. It just states that it has been filed and shows all of the signatures and what the petition is for.

The child stays with my daughter and son-in-law until his parents don't like something they do and then they go and take her away.

My question is:
Is this petition legally binding if it hasn't been approved by the court? Wouldn't they have had to go before a judge to make this final? If my daughter and her husband refuse to follow the petition, are they breaking the law?

They live in Missouri and I live in Kansas. They won't let the baby come and visit me because I'm out of state. What are they worried about? If she gets out of state, is she out of their legal reach or something?

I'd really like to know what is up their sleeve and what our rights are in this situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

P

pthalo

its just a petition....

Petitions are not court orders.. If your daughter and her husband have signed a petition for a hearing then they haven't really done much more than request that a judge hear this matter.. I am not sure but I think that they can easily go down to the court house and rescind those signatures..

The other grandparents sound like very manipulative people who thought they could pull a fast one on the kids...

I think the kids need to cut the strings and not let the other grandparents control their lives.. If they want to come and visit you in Kansas then what should stop them... They need to distance themselves from the other grandparents if it is true that the grandparents are trying to step in and take over, especially after only 9 months......

N

nana2three

Thank you all...

I want to thank everyone who talked with me about this. I feel so relieved and I'm sure my daughter will be, too! Hopefully, they will be able to get her in-laws to back off and let them live their own lives.

Bre's_mom

Hi, I was reading your posts and I have to say, that if its just a petition, then once your daughter and son have the child with them, dont send the child back to the other grandparents, if the judge didn't sign anything yet then they dont have custody, therefore your daughter and son-in-law can take their daughter right now... Good Luck..:D:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">