• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughters father owes 14k in back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GSandra32

My daughter turns 18 in March. Her father owes by court order 14k in back child support. I'm trying to figure out how to help her collect on that once she turns 18. I don't want the money. Does the child support office keep collecting on back child support or does my daughter have to sue her father?
The support order comes from WA State (we use to live there), we now live in Missouri and her bio dad lives in Florida last heard.
I'm not sure how any of this works. I always thought the child support office would keep collecting on it until the back due amount was paid. But as I'm looking that may not be the case. I'm moving back to WA in May and would like to get this figured out so my daughter has access to her child support owed to her. Thank you for any advice.

LdiJ

My daughter turns 18 in March. Her father owes by court order 14k in back child support. I'm trying to figure out how to help her collect on that once she turns 18. I don't want the money. Does the child support office keep collecting on back child support or does my daughter have to sue her father?
The support order comes from WA State (we use to live there), we now live in Missouri and her bio dad lives in Florida last heard.
I'm not sure how any of this works. I always thought the child support office would keep collecting on it until the back due amount was paid. But as I'm looking that may not be the case. I'm moving back to WA in May and would like to get this figured out so my daughter has access to her child support owed to her. Thank you for any advice.
Its not her money, legally, its yours. You are free to continue to push to collect and give the money to your daughter, but she will not be able to pursue the case on your behalf.

GSandra32

Its not her money, legally, its yours. You are free to continue to push to collect and give the money to your daughter, but she will not be able to pursue the case on your behalf.
OK that's fine. My question is how do I go about doing that? Do I have to sue him? Will child support office continue to collect? That's mainly what I'm trying to figure out so I know what to look into. Thanks for your response.

LdiJ

OK that's fine. My question is how do I go about doing that? Do I have to sue him? Will child support office continue to collect? That's mainly what I'm trying to figure out so I know what to look into. Thanks for your response.
Are you actually receiving anything now or how long has it been since you did?

GSandra32

Are you actually receiving anything now or how long has it been since you did?
He has been on and off on child support but he's been consistent for the last 3 years. He pays 350 a month right now. 343 for current support 7 for back.

LdiJ

He has been on and off on child support but he's been consistent for the last 3 years. He pays 350 a month right now. 343 for current support 7 for back.
Most states require payment through HS graduation these days or age 18, whichever comes last. So, you won't be able to judge whether or not the CSE is going to keep collecting or not until your daughter graduates, if that is after March. Its possible that they will. I would not try to make too many plans until you are sure one way or another.

However, if you have to pursue him you will have to ask the courts that he continue to pay the full $350.00 a month until the arrears are paid in full.

GSandra32

She graduated hs already. She won't be 18 until March 15th. Since the original court order was in WA do I go to the courts up there? Or since I'll be in Missouri till may go through the courts here? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row so I know what to do when she does turn 18.

LdiJ

She graduated hs already. She won't be 18 until March 15th. Since the original court order was in WA do I go to the courts up there? Or since I'll be in Missouri till may go through the courts here? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row so I know what to do when she does turn 18.
I would first see if the child support agency in your state will assist you in collecting the arrears. They may or may not do so. Unfortunately it can be complicated to collect arrears when there are multiple states involved.

GSandra32

I would first see if the child support agency in your state will assist you in collecting the arrears. They may or may not do so. Unfortunately it can be complicated to collect arrears when there are multiple states involved.
Great, you have been a huge help. Thank you so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">