• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead beat dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tugg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

There's an amendment called the Bradley amendment that states there are no statue of limitations when it comes to child support in arrears. The law doesn't care the reason why you didn't pay support if your in arrears you will pay what you owe

My question is do I need to hire an attorney to get my dad to pay court ordered child support. He was already held in contempt for non child support once when he and my mom first divorced but his mom came up to my mom and begged her not to press charges and she gave her her word he would pay if she dropped the charges

Instead my mom made a stipulation that stated as long as my dad keeps up with his child support the charges will be dropped. When they were walking out of the court house my dad threatened my mom and told her she was going to regret divorcing him and he never made a child support payments even though he could more than afford it.

The Bradley amendment is pretty cut and dry it states if your in arrears you must pay and it takes away the states statute of limitations. This law was written for people like my dad. He could more than afford to pay child support but just refused to. My mom had called him and all but begged him to do as the court ordered and once again he threatened my mom to the point that she was afraid to take any action against him. Whenever she card him after that either him or his new wife would hang up on her. In the mean time their shutting of our electricity because my mom couldn't afford to pay it. At one point the electricity was turned off for 9 days so there were 3 little kids huddled against their mother at night because they were frightened and didn't quite understand why we didn't have electricity . My dad was aware of the fact we didn't have electricity and refused to help my mom pay for it

I want to nail his ass to the wall so bad it's not funny. I want to show his wife and their kids that I'm not my mom and they can't intimidate me and he will either pay what he owes or I will freeze and attach all of his assets and they'll find out what it's like to have their electricity turned off

Last edited:

Ladyback1

There's an amendment called the Bradley amendment that states there are no statue of limitations when it comes to child support in arrears. The law doesn't care the reason why you didn't pay support if your in arrears you will pay what you owe

My question is do I need to hire an attorney to get my dad to pay court ordered child support. He was already held in contempt for non child support once when he and my mom first divorced but his mom came up to my mom and begged her not to press charges and she gave her her word he would pay if she dropped the charges

Instead my mom made a stipulation that stated as long as my dad keeps up with his child support the charges will be dropped. When they were walking out of the court house my dad threatened my mom and told her she was going to regret divorcing him and he never made a child support payments even though he could more than afford it.

The Bradley amendment is pretty cut and dry it states if your in arrears you must pay and it takes away the states statute of limitations. This law was written for people like my dad. He could more than afford to pay child support but just refused to. My mom had called him and all but begged him to do as the court ordered and once again he threatened my mom to the point that she was afraid to take any action against him. Whenever she card him after that either him or his new wife would hang up on her. In the mean time their shutting of our electricity because my mom couldn't afford to pay it. At one point the electricity was turned off for 9 days so there were 3 little kids huddled against their mother at night because they were frightened and didn't quite understand why we didn't have electricity . My dad was aware of the fact we didn't have electricity and refused to help my mom pay for it

I want to nail his ass to the wall so bad it's not funny. I want to show his wife and their kids that I'm not my mom and they can't intimidate me and he will either pay what he owes or I will freeze and attach all of his assets and they'll find out what it's like to have their electricity turned off
Oh hun! How old are you?

This is not your fight. You are unable to do anything to "punish" your Dad.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

What, you didn't like the answers you got down the street? What makes you think posting here is going to change any of those answers? (Here's a hint: It's not.) :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Oh Little One. You have no dog in this fight. You are not a party to their order. Hire an attorney or not - the only thing s/he will be able to tell you is..... you can do nothing. Only your Mom can.

Pinkie39

Oh Little One. You have no dog in this fight. You are not a party to their order. Hire an attorney or not - the only thing s/he will be able to tell you is..... you can do nothing. Only your Mom can.[/QUOTE

According to the post down the street, this all happened back in the 1950s!

Proserpina

What? You mean that he hasn't found the miracle answer he wanted?! I invite everyone to take a look at "down the street". It speaks VOLUMES.

Oh yeah - ask him what Laches is, too ;)

He needs therapy. He absolutely needs therapy. He has gone from simply obnoxious to obsessive with a lust for vengeance.

One more thing. I believe Dad is what.. 83 now? I'm not surprised he doesn't want anything to do with his sorry offspring.

Tugg

Oh Little One. You have no dog in this fight. You are not a party to their order. Hire an attorney or not - the only thing s/he will be able to tell you is..... you can do nothing. Only your Mom can.

What do you think this is some sort of tucking joke? You have no idea how my dead beat dad effected my childhood. We were so poor I can't begin to tell you how many times they turned our electricity because my mom didn't have the money to pay it at one point it was off for 9' days. Do you have any idea want irs like for an 8 year old to sit in the dark huddled against your mom because hour scared to death because there arent any lights on in the house? My father knew the electricity was turned off and even though he had a good paying job and the money to help us he refused to. My mom worked her fingers to the bone and was making a little over minimum wage but was to proud to collect welfare

On the day of the divorce my mother had filed contempt of court for non child support he threatened her right before the trial and she was so scared she dropped the charges. Once the divorce was finalized and she was leaving the court house,he walked up behind her and told her she was going to regret divorcing him. When I was 5 years old she called him hoping that he has some sense of decency and pay what he owed so we could have some food on the table all I heard was him yelling when she hung up she was white as a ghost and never called him again. His kids from his second marriage had the best of everything. When we were sitting in the dark with no electricity his kids were taking accordian, piano and drum lessons. He went as far as buying his daughter a piano and your going to there on your fat ass and make light of my situation?

His oldest daughter from his second marriage moved to her grandmothers house 50 miles away and no one could figure out why. Come to find out he started molesting her when she was 16 to this day she won't go over his house and refuses to talk to her mom because her mom called her a liar and said it never happened. He's 83 years old and he's slowly dying but IMO be can't die slow enough that man has ruined more lives than I can count and your going to sit there and defend him.

He has been held for contempt of court twice, was able to pay child support but didn't. Threatened my mom to the point that she was afraid to report him she knew if she did he'd get out of jail sooner or later and regardless of a restraining order he'd find her and beat the hell out of her. He's intimidated everyone in our family but as I started to get older he knew I wasn't afraid of him so he didn't fool with me. Had I known the real reason why my mom didn't push him for child support I would have got her approval like I'm doing now and pressed charges against him 20 years ago.

I answered your questions concerning the statue of limitations and how the State I live in handles dead beat dads who try play the latches card. Maybe you should take some time and do some research before you stick your foot in your mouth again

,Unlike most states that limit the number of years for which they can assess past support, county child support units in XXXX have the discretion to seek it and to go back to the date of the childs birth, no matter how much time has passed.

“In an action to enforce a judgment for child, family or spousal support, the defendant may raise and the court may consider the defense of latches only with respect to any portion of the judgment owed to the state.” (Emphasis added).

Proserpina

It seems that you don't need any help here.
Concur.

He needs help - just not of the legal type. He STILL doesn't understand Laches, he STILL can't accept reality and he STILL can't acknowledge that it's not his father he should be angry with. And he STILL can't manage to grasp the Bradley Amendment.

OP is going to end up very lonely, bitter little man.

(If he's not already)

Tugg

Concur.

He needs help - just not of the legal type. He STILL doesn't understand Laches, he STILL can't accept reality and he STILL can't acknowledge that it's not his father he should be angry with. And he STILL can't manage to grasp the Bradley Amendment.

OP is going to end up very lonely, bitter little man.

(If he's not already)
You don't even know me and your going to tell me I need help? LMAO. I copied and pasted how the state I live in handles laches and dead beat dads and you have the nerve to tell me I don't know what latches are than you tell me I can't grasp what the Bradely Amendment is. Beings your so smart tell me what latches and tell me the logic behind the Bradely Amendment and what it really means.

I came here and asked a question for verification purposes and I got nothing but smart ass answeres. If you can't reply to a legitimate question with a legatimate answer why even reply? Are you so childish, immature that you have to come here and troll? I'll be waiting to hear the true meaning of laches and the Bradely Amemdment mean. Hopefully you can do it without acting childish and immature but I doubt it

Last edited:

Proserpina

You don't even know me and your going to tell me I need help? LMAO. I copied and pasted how the state I live in handles laches and dead beat dads and you have the nerve to tell me I don't know what latches are than you tell me I can't grasp what the Bradely Amendment is. Beings your so smart tell me what latches and tell me the logic behind the Bradely Amendment and what it really means.

I came here and asked a question for verification purposes and I got nothing but smart ass answeres. If you can't reply to a legitimate question with a legatimate answer why even reply? Are you so childish, immature that you have to come here and troll? I'll be waiting to hear the true meaning of laches and the Bradely Amemdment mean. Hopefully you can do it without acting childish and immature but I doubt it

Hmm.

You've caught me on a good day, so let's look shall we?

Tug: Sorry but from what I read about the Bradley Amandment there is no statue of limitations and it over rides all State laws

Attorney: Then you are either misunderstanding what you read, or you read something that is not correct.
Louisiana Civil Code, Art. 3501.1.
Actions for arrearages of child support An action to make executory arrearages of child support is subject to a liberative prescription of ten years.
See also Dept. of Social Services v. Peteet, 40 So. 3d 1015 (La. Ct. App. 2010); HHS instruction on the application of UIFSA ("In a proceeding for arrearages, the choice of law in determining which State's statute of limitations to apply is easy to remember. Always apply the law of the State with the longest statute of limitations available."

Responder: The Bradley Amendment was enacted in 1986. If under Colorado law the child support order had already been unenforceable due to lapse of time the Bradley Amendment would do nothing to revive it.

Tug: Laches only apply to contempt of court charges and are applied at the discretion of the court. Laches have nothing to do with child support

Responder 2: <cites Garcia, where the court of appeals affirmed the trial court's ruling that the CP's claim to arrears was barred. Garcia is also important because it happened quite a few years after the Bradley Amendment was enacted>

Over two different boards, experts and at least one attorney have repeatedly told you that you're just flat out wrong. Why is that?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What do you think this is some sort of tucking joke? You have no idea how my dead beat dad effected my childhood. We were so poor I can't begin to tell you how many times they turned our electricity because my mom didn't have the money to pay it at one point it was off for 9' days. Do you have any idea want irs like for an 8 year old to sit in the dark huddled against your mom because hour scared to death because there arent any lights on in the house? My father knew the electricity was turned off and even though he had a good paying job and the money to help us he refused to. My mom worked her fingers to the bone and was making a little over minimum wage but was to proud to collect welfare

On the day of the divorce my mother had filed contempt of court for non child support he threatened her right before the trial and she was so scared she dropped the charges. Once the divorce was finalized and she was leaving the court house,he walked up behind her and told her she was going to regret divorcing him. When I was 5 years old she called him hoping that he has some sense of decency and pay what he owed so we could have some food on the table all I heard was him yelling when she hung up she was white as a ghost and never called him again. His kids from his second marriage had the best of everything. When we were sitting in the dark with no electricity his kids were taking accordian, piano and drum lessons. He went as far as buying his daughter a piano and your going to there on your fat ass and make light of my situation?

His oldest daughter from his second marriage moved to her grandmothers house 50 miles away and no one could figure out why. Come to find out he started molesting her when she was 16 to this day she won't go over his house and refuses to talk to her mom because her mom called her a liar and said it never happened. He's 83 years old and he's slowly dying but IMO be can't die slow enough that man has ruined more lives than I can count and your going to sit there and defend him.

He has been held for contempt of court twice, was able to pay child support but didn't. Threatened my mom to the point that she was afraid to report him she knew if she did he'd get out of jail sooner or later and regardless of a restraining order he'd find her and beat the hell out of her. He's intimidated everyone in our family but as I started to get older he knew I wasn't afraid of him so he didn't fool with me. Had I known the real reason why my mom didn't push him for child support I would have got her approval like I'm doing now and pressed charges against him 20 years ago.

I answered your questions concerning the statue of limitations and how the State I live in handles dead beat dads who try play the latches card. Maybe you should take some time and do some research before you stick your foot in your mouth again

,Unlike most states that limit the number of years for which they can assess past support, county child support units in XXXX have the discretion to seek it and to go back to the date of the childs birth, no matter how much time has passed.

“In an action to enforce a judgment for child, family or spousal support, the defendant may raise and the court may consider the defense of latches only with respect to any portion of the judgment owed to the state.” (Emphasis added).
Still not your fight. Nor is the money owed to you. If Mom didn't act? That's it. You can't do it for her. Which part of "you're not a party" to their case is unclear?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">