• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Landlord's Son Moved In, Can I Evict The New Landlord From The Property For Being A Nuisance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

There's one other tenant in the 4-bedroom house I rent, we each rent one bedroom/bathroom, share the 2-car garage, and the common areas kitchen, living, dining rooms. The resident landlord I signed the lease with passed away 4 months into my 6-month lease. I'm now considering signing a new lease with the deceased landlord's son.

The landlord's son lives a few doors down in the same neighborhood with his wife and kids. Since his dad died (or probably longer) he's been on the outs with his wife and decides a month ago to move completely out of his house and into both of the spare bedrooms, bringing all his stuff, and made himself at home, putting all his sh!t around the house, and making a nuisance of himself, and creating security issues by "forgetting" to lock the exterior doors, leaving the garage door open for hours at a time, at all hours of the day and night, leaving messes in the kitchen, etc.

After his move-in he has made my living here very uncomfortable. He has become a significant nuisance causing noise disturbances regularly, trying to socially befriend me and the other tenant awkwardly and unsuccessfully, doing light construction after 5PM and as late as 10:30PM with no notice. He put an indoor camera in the common hallway of the inside of the house watching or recording personal activity in the common areas of the house of any passers-by. All of this with no written notice and indicating his move would be "hopefully temporary" although turned out to be permanent, despite some minor and respectful complaining by myself and the other tenant when his move-in and all of this behavior initially occurred.

The landlord has made personal comments about the type of laundry I'm doing. Commented on my personal phone conversations that he's listened to from outside my closed door room. Makes and leaves a mess in the kitchen, leaving cooked and raw food out for half-days and longer. He continues to slam doors and cupboard doors without consideration for the paying tenants. And continues to leave the doors unlocked, and lights on all over the house, even when he's not present. All of these activities continue despite direct mentions from both myself and the other tenant of these behaviors in a face to face round-table meeting.

For purposes of my question in this forum, he's the new undisputed legal owner of the property by inheritance.

My lease is up, and I'd like to stay with a new lease, but this landlord is up in my business like a bad rash. He's also the landlord so I'm very respectful toward him, but at my wits-end with his inconsiderate behavior, intrusion into what used to be a peaceful and private residence.

Oh, his wife and kids also frequent the house unannounced and are worse than him about leaving doors and garages unlocked, having left garage and front doors wide open upon leaving without regard to the paying tenants.

Short of moving out, is there any way I can legally get him to not reside in this house? After all, he has his own house down the street.

What is the name of your state? NEVADA, Clark County, City of Las Vegas

LdiJ

There's one other tenant in the 4-bedroom house I rent, we each rent one bedroom/bathroom, share the 2-car garage, and the common areas kitchen, living, dining rooms. The resident landlord I signed the lease with passed away 4 months into my 6-month lease. I'm now considering signing a new lease with the deceased landlord's son.

The landlord's son lives a few doors down in the same neighborhood with his wife and kids. Since his dad died (or probably longer) he's been on the outs with his wife and decides a month ago to move completely out of his house and into both of the spare bedrooms, bringing all his stuff, and made himself at home, putting all his sh!t around the house, and making a nuisance of himself, and creating security issues by "forgetting" to lock the exterior doors, leaving the garage door open for hours at a time, at all hours of the day and night, leaving messes in the kitchen, etc.

After his move-in he has made my living here very uncomfortable. He has become a significant nuisance causing noise disturbances regularly, trying to socially befriend me and the other tenant awkwardly and unsuccessfully, doing light construction after 5PM and as late as 10:30PM with no notice. He put an indoor camera in the common hallway of the inside of the house watching or recording personal activity in the common areas of the house of any passers-by. All of this with no written notice and indicating his move would be "hopefully temporary" although turned out to be permanent, despite some minor and respectful complaining by myself and the other tenant when his move-in and all of this behavior initially occurred.

The landlord has made personal comments about the type of laundry I'm doing. Commented on my personal phone conversations that he's listened to from outside my closed door room. Makes and leaves a mess in the kitchen, leaving cooked and raw food out for half-days and longer. He continues to slam doors and cupboard doors without consideration for the paying tenants. And continues to leave the doors unlocked, and lights on all over the house, even when he's not present. All of these activities continue despite direct mentions from both myself and the other tenant of these behaviors in a face to face round-table meeting.

For purposes of my question in this forum, he's the new undisputed legal owner of the property by inheritance.

My lease is up, and I'd like to stay with a new lease, but this landlord is up in my business like a bad rash. He's also the landlord so I'm very respectful toward him, but at my wits-end with his inconsiderate behavior, intrusion into what used to be a peaceful and private residence.

Oh, his wife and kids also frequent the house unannounced and are worse than him about leaving doors and garages unlocked, having left garage and front doors wide open upon leaving without regard to the paying tenants.

Short of moving out, is there any way I can legally get him to not reside in this house? After all, he has his own house down the street.

What is the name of your state? NEVADA, Clark County, City of Las Vegas
Honestly, your only viable option is to find somewhere else to live.

xylene

You need to move when your lease is up. I storngly recommend living in a non-shared living situation where your landlord or people you don't know or approve cannot move in with you. There is always a risk in renting a bedroom with common area privileges that there will be issues, kitchen drama, and personality conflict.

FarmerJ

Make sure you send written notice to the LL via confirmed mail delivery and make sure the notice follows what the lease calls for so if the lease says one rental period of notice then that means one whole rental period of notice ( so if the lease says that then in order to give a notice to be proper for a lease that ends 12/31 the notice should be sent so it arrives on the 28th or 29th of Nov just in case there are delays in the mail system. ) if a lease calls for 30 days then its only 30 days , I suggest you also staple your confirmed mail delivery receipt to your copy of the letter. It truly appears to me that this is never going to get better and id lay odds its going to become worse and lastly if your going to look at a room with privileges or a rooming house situation again try to make a second visit with out the landlord to ask the others reasonable questions like how the LL is at making repairs, is there a reason to not rent here ? Landlords who live in the same property they rent rooms out can be okay but some as you now know with this one he isn't ideal. Are there many studio type of apartments in your area ? ( you know one living -sleeping room combined with a kitchen area and a bathroom ) so you don't have to share ?

adjusterjack

Just Blue

No. It's his house. He's the one who can legally get you not to reside in the house.

That would be incredibly stupid considering the extent of your complaints.

Find another place to live.
There are TONS of places to rent in the Vegas/Henderson area.

xylene

No. It's his house. He's the one who can legally get you not to reside in the house.
While I agree IN THIS CASE, that is not a general truth. The OP's landlord can move in becuase this lease does not convey the entire house. This is why the landlord can't move into his room, nor deny him the use of the shared spaces of the house that he is leasing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I agree IN THIS CASE, that is not a general truth. The OP's landlord can move in becuase this lease does not convey the entire house. This is why the landlord can't move into his room, nor deny him the use of the shared spaces of the house that he is leasing.
I don't believe that FarmerJ intended it to be "general" advice, rather, it was intended as "specific" advice for this OP.

xylene

We get a lot of posts where tenants are subject to egregious lease and law violations where a landlord purports to have a right based on it being 'their house'

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We get a lot of posts where tenants are subject to egregious lease and law violations where a landlord purports to have a right based on it being 'their house'
I don't disagree with you. I was just pointing out that FarmerJ was addressing this OP's specific situation.

THANK YOU all for your replies and advice!! I really appreciate it.

At the moment I posted this, the landlord slipped a new lease agreement under my door at midnight. It includes a ridiculous passive-aggressive addendum, and the lease renewal is only for 2-months. LOL! Guess I'll be moving in either 10-days or two months.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Case closed.

Just Blue

THANK YOU all for your replies and advice!! I really appreciate it.

At the moment I posted this, the landlord slipped a new lease agreement under my door at midnight. It includes a ridiculous passive-aggressive addendum, and the lease renewal is only for 2-months. LOL! Guess I'll be moving in either 10-days or two months.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Case closed.
What was the addendum?

The addendum included an absurd provision that I must get landlord approval of any guest visiting for more than 30-minutes, and must be pre-approved by landlord at least 12 hours in advance.

This provision came up because I have had impromptu meetings with my business partner who comes and goes (always accompanied by me going in or out of the house) a couple times per week to the master bedroom/office at random days and times of day for a few minutes or hours at a time. I'm always quiet and very respectful. However, once she walked in through the garage ahead of me, and the landlord was walking around the house in his underwear (which is another issue of mine). I don't think it's appropriate for the resident landlord to disrespect common areas of the house by walking around partially clothed in the middle of the day. The landlord is also unemployed by the way.

Just Blue

Yeah...I'd be moving ASAP if I were you. Curious...How much do you pay for rent for the honor of living there?

FarmerJ

did your original lease say it would not renew but expired and you had to vacate at the end ? or did the original lease say it automatically renewed at the end or that it became month to month ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">