• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pendulum

I entered into a lease three months ago, with two other roomates, for an apartment. I am a full time student and put up the first, last, and security with my federal aid. An agreement of a third of this is to be paid back to me from each of the other two roomates. Bills like wise (rent, electric, gas) are split up into thirds to be paid each month. To this date one of the roommates has not paid for anything. Not for rent, bills, or personal debt (ie. His share of bills paid for by me and friends). He silently refuses to pay anything and will not move out. My other roommate and I have spoken to the complex landlords. Their stand point is to be paid in full each month regardless of roommate problems. They sugested to have himself sign off of the lease with our approval. Nevertheless, he will not move. He does not care about his credit or ours. He knows if we want to stay here we will pay his part regardless, but we can not afford it. We have attempted to keep reciepts on all payments. We have spoken to him several times about this. What can we do? What steps can we take? How can we get rid of the deadbeat roommate?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

In New York State no one can be removed from real property without legal process. You may have to sue him.

In the future, you get the money up front or make sure you're secured with collateral.

We all were younger and we've all made mistakes. Here's one for you to grow on. Don't sweat it, just don't get in deeper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">