• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbolt locks in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eeden

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I'm living in an apartment with no deadbolt locks. The landlord will give me the deadbolt but is telling me I have to have it installed myself. If I wish to have them installed, is it my responsibility to pay a locksmith to install them or does the landlord pay for this? In my eyes, it's a repair and an improvement but I'm not a lawyer. Thank you in advance for any information that can be offered.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I'm living in an apartment with no deadbolt locks. The landlord will give me the deadbolt but is telling me I have to have it installed myself. If I wish to have them installed, is it my responsibility to pay a locksmith to install them or does the landlord pay for this? In my eyes, it's a repair and an improvement but I'm not a lawyer. Thank you in advance for any information that can be offered.
The landlord has to provide at least on working lock of a type of his choosing (as long as its functional). If you want a "better" lock, or a different lock (deadbolt), you are responsible for the price of purchasing the new lock, installing the new lock, and, if the landlord requests it, removing the new lock that you had installed when you move out. If your LL is offering to give you the lock you want for free, that's a pretty good deal.

HuAi

That is not necesserily true. Local laws may obligate the landlord to provide some safety features. In my town, LL's in highrise buildings are obligated to provide doors that will swing shut on their own, deadbolt locks, and window grates for fire escapes.

Contact your local housing board and ask them

You Are Guilty

That is not necesserily true. Local laws may obligate the landlord to provide some safety features. In my town, LL's in highrise buildings are obligated to provide doors that will swing shut on their own, deadbolt locks, and window grates for fire escapes.

Contact your local housing board and ask them
And you live in NC? Kindly post a link to the local code that calls for deadbolts.
The NC General Statutes have no such requirement.

FarmerJ

Local can mean city or county ords. Yes some citys do require them, Ones own local zoning or building inspections desk should be able to provide the information.

You Are Guilty

Read my post again.
Let me try again - post a link to ANY local codes in NC that call for deadbolts to be provided at the landlord's expense in residential buildings. I looked, and could not find any. You say they exist. Please show me, so that I can modify my prior answer as necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">