• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deaf child abused by interpreter at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avg.Joe

my special needs(born deaf) stepdaughter was assaulted by her interpreter at school... Incident was caught on video which I understand is pretty disturbing. The police called her mother at work and asked her to come to the school and showed her the footage...Apparently there have been complaints about this interpreter by another family and nothing was done and this may have been going on for a while...What can we do(ca)

quincy

last We heard their “investigating” it or her further whatever that means.
Okay. That sounds reasonable. Charges against the interpreter may result at the conclusion of the investigation.

What has the school done? Is the interpreter suspended during the investigation?

Is your stepdaughter being seen by a counselor?

Just Blue

my special needs(born deaf) stepdaughter was assaulted by her interpreter at school... Incident was caught on video which I understand is pretty disturbing. The police called her mother at work and asked her to come to the school and showed her the footage...Apparently there have been complaints about this interpreter by another family and nothing was done and this may have been going on for a while...What can we do(ca)
I'm so sorry that this happen to your step-daughter. How old is she?

Avg.Joe

Okay. That sounds reasonable. Charges against the interpreter may result at the conclusion of the investigation.

What has the school done? Is the interpreter suspended during the investigation?

Is your stepdaughter being seen by a counselor?
Today was their first day back to school because of the holiday, she has not been seen by a counselor

Avg.Joe

I believe she works for a company that offers interpreter services and the district or the county goes through them

quincy

I believe she works for a company that offers interpreter services and the district or the county goes through them
If the school was aware of previous similar complaints lodged against the interpreter, the district could find itself facing some legal repercussions, as could the interpreter’s employer.
It wasn’t her regular interpreter
Was this the only time that you know of that your stepdaughter saw this interpreter then?

You and your wife can wait for the police to finish their investigation to see an attorney but you might not want to wait on counseling for your stepdaughter. The need for a counselor could depend on how well your stepdaughter is processing the incident with the interpreter.

Good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would likely speak with a lawyer or two, just so you have someone "on tap" if needed.

I, too, am sorry for the child's experience. Some people should interact with kids on any level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">