• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deaf child abused by interpreter at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avg.Joe

THANK YOU! I have fat fingers AND a wonky keyboard, AND I didn't notice my typo. Yes, of course, I meant *shouldn't*.
Thanks...I appreciate your advice....Ive reached out to dozens of lawyers since the incident occurred and no one has gotten back to me at all....i dont get it. Its a rural area we live in maybe?

quincy

Thanks...I appreciate your advice....Ive reached out to dozens of lawyers since the incident occurred and no one has gotten back to me at all....i dont get it.
You often have to make an appointment to speak to an attorney. Most attorneys will meet with you initially to discuss your legal issue at low or no cost.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Thanks...I appreciate your advice....Ive reached out to dozens of lawyers since the incident occurred and no one has gotten back to me at all....i dont get it.
Don't forget - it has been a holiday week. Many people (even lawyers) are working lighter hours, only with current cases, out of town, etc. So stay on top of it this week. Same reason the investigation continues. These things take time, even under the best of circumstances, but everything slows during a holiday week.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You often have to make an appointment to speak to an attorney. Most attorneys will meet with you initially to discuss your legal issue at low or no cost.
One thing I found worked, when I was interviewing family law attorneys, was to get a recommendation from someone well respected in the community. I then called, saying something like, "So-and-So gave me Mr/Mrs/Ms's name and suggested I speak with them for a situation regarding XYZ. I wonder if I could make an appointment or if they might have a quick moment to give me on the phone?" Often led to, basically, a phone consult and either input ot a referral to another attorney. ALWAYS, if they can't help you, ask if it were their child in this situation, who would they recommend as an attorney to consult.

Avg.Joe

Don't forget - it has been a holiday week. Many people (even lawyers) are working lighter hours, only with current cases, out of town, etc. So stay on top of it this week. Same reason the investigation continues. These things take time, even under the best of circumstances, but everything slows during a holiday week.
It makes sense, i just worry that she’ll get lost in the shuffle and this incident will be swept under the rug....i feel like no one is being held accountable and certainly a lack of consequences...It’s infuriating....

Avg.Joe

One thing I found worked, when I was interviewing family law attorneys, was to get a recommendation from someone well respected in the community. I then called, saying something like, "So-and-So gave me Mr/Mrs/Ms's name and suggested I speak with them for a situation regarding XYZ. I wonder if I could make an appointment or if they might have a quick moment to give me on the phone?" Often led to, basically, a phone consult and either input ot a referral to another attorney. ALWAYS, if they can't help you, ask if it were their child in this situation, who would they recommend as an attorney to consult.
One person called me back only to tell me they only handle personal injury and said i needed a civil lawyer but recommended no one...Its a really tiny, low income, rural area

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It makes sense, i just worry that she’ll get lost in the shuffle and this incident will be swept under the rug....i feel like no one is being held accountable and certainly a lack of consequences...It’s infuriating....
I suspect you & Mom will stay on top of it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
One person called me back only to tell me they only handle personal injury and said i needed a civil lawyer but recommended no one...Its a really tiny, low income, rural area
Always ask for a recommendation.

You could also call the Bar Assoc. They should be able to give you some names.

quincy

I know very few attorneys who will return calls from someone they have not worked with already. You may have to go outside your rural area to find an attorney who meets your needs.

Avg.Joe, although it might appear that nothing is being done, investigations take time. You can contact the police off-and-on to check on the status of the investigation, though.

Avg.Joe

I know very few attorneys who will return calls from someone they have not worked with already. You may have to go outside your rural area to find an attorney who meets your needs.

Avg.Joe, although it might appear that nothing is being done, investigations take time. You can contact the police off-and-on to check on the status of the investigation, though.

Noted.....I appreciate you taking the time to help

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Quincy has a good suggestion - check in with the police periodically. Don't start off calling constantly - build up to being the squeaky wheel if needed. As we said - these things take time. Also, make sure Mom keeps on top of the school wrt seeing the school counselor. Or talk to the pediatrician to see if they can refer the child to a counselor.

And.... What about Dad? Was he notified?

Last edited:

quincy

I don’t know what happened to the post of yours that stealth quoted but it is important that you do NOT make any threats! Let the legal system work for you the way it was designed to work.

Avg.Joe

I don’t know what happened to the post of yours that stealth quoted but it is important that you do NOT make any threats! Let the legal system work for you the way it was designed to work.
It wasn’t intended as a threat but when I read it back I could see how it could be taken as such so I deleted it....I just don’t know the system well enough to trust or distrust it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">