• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer Claims I Still Owes Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HolyChicknGod

So I purchased a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon from a car lot that my father worked at around 3 weeks ago and I had given my father $2500 for the vehicle and he said he would get me my paperwork afterward. Last week I had finally gotten my paperwork signed along with my receipt for the purchase. Finally yesterday the owner of the car lot (not my father) had called me saying that I owed him $900 for the sale still even though I had given my father, his employee the full amount (aside from the taxes in which I will pay after he has the title) and I also have a bill of sale signed by the owner of the lot saying that my car was paid in full. So am I legally liable to pay the owner of the car lot the $900 he claims I still own or what should I do?

HolyChicknGod

The total price of the vehicle is 2,721.40. The paperwork says I paid 2500.00 and that I still owe 221.40 for tax and title fees which is due on the 1st of June.

LdiJ

The total price of the vehicle is 2,721.40. The paperwork says I paid 2500.00 and that I still owe 221.40 for tax and title fees which is due on the 1st of June.

Have you talked to your father about it? If you have a bill of sale for 2721.40 I do not see how he can ask you for 900.00 more unless your father did not give him all of the money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you talked to your father about it? If you have a bill of sale for 2721.40 I do not see how he can ask you for 900.00 more unless your father did not give him all of the money.
The OP has paperwork showing it was paid (a receipt). The OP needs to speak to the owner of the dealership to find out why the owner claims more is owed.

HolyChicknGod

He claims that my father did not give him the full amount however my father swears he did. And my paperwork is signed by the owner of the lot saying I have paid the amount.

Zigner

Tell the guy to speak to his employee about this matter, as you have signed paperwork showing you have paid.
Please be prepared to testify against your father if criminal charges are filed against him.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Tell the guy to speak to his employee about this matter, as you have signed paperwork showing you have paid.
Please be prepared to testify against your father if criminal charges are filed against him.
Are you thinking Dad forged the paperwork?

Zigner

Are you thinking Dad forged the paperwork?
He may have, or he may have told the owner that he put the money in the till when he really didn't. Either way, if this wasn't dad, this would be an easy situation. The OP would simply tell the dealer to pound sound, but offer to testify against the salesperson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">